• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front wheel bearings???

funvtec

NAXJA Forum User
i have a problem i think my wheel bearings are shot i get all kinds of clicking when i turn and it seems to drift left to right on the freeway, i would like to replace the front wheel bearings.

now i went to advance auto and they had a hub assembly for 138.00
or listed a bearing for 6.40

what do i need my FSM says that replacing the actual bearings should be left to the dealer only, what should i do is it possible to change just the bearings? $$$$138 opposed to $$$6.40 c-mon why do i have to get expensive here, i've replaced many wheel bearings befor just not on a 4x4

what can i do?

funvtec said:
what can i do?

To check your bearing:
Jack up the wheel, grab at 12 and 6, try to rock the tire in and out, there should be no "play", if you feel play, put your fingers on the ball joint to insure it is not there, if that is solid..then it is prbly your unit bearing.

Change the unit bearing....the whole thing.

Rev

Last edited:
funvtec said:
i have a problem i think my wheel bearings are shot i get all kinds of clicking when i turn and it seems to drift left to right on the freeway, i would like to replace the front wheel bearings.

Are you shure its just the bearings, and not the axle U-Joints... Those would also cause the same symptoms. Just like others have said replace the unit hub as an assembly, do not try to rebuild it yourself... Just FYI axle nut torque is 175 ftlbs & hub bearing bolt to knuckle is 75 ftlbs.

no i'm not sure exactly what it is however the jeep is a 90 with 135k on it and its been neglected by its previous owner and i've been slowly replacing everything thats out of date (tires, cooling system,all fluids, shocks ect...)

now its time to tackle my sloppy front end the track bar is on the list too but i need to get this thing fixed it really making some noise.

how can i tell exactly what NEEDS to be replaced?

thanks for the replies so far guys keep em coming!

well it seems my bearings are not the culprit, i lifted it up and tried oh i tried but i couldn't wiggle the wheel at 12:00 and 6:00 so i took a good look and seen a red dust covering my front axle u joints i said hmmm... i bet they are binding up on me. so looks like i have quite the job to tackle

thanks for all your help fellas

Rev Den said:
You axle u-joints will not cause wandering....but you mentioned track bars issues....a track bar will cause a wander.

Have fun.

Rev

thanks again i sense sarcasm, i've heard this is quite the job, so the wondering is caused by the track bar and the noise is caused by my u-joints

damn neglected Jeep, its gonna be new when i get done with it!

funvtec said:
thanks again i sense sarcasm, i've heard this is quite the job, so the wondering is caused by the track bar and the noise is caused by my u-joints

damn neglected Jeep, its gonna be new when i get done with it!

But...you will have intimate knowledge of it and be much better off. The u-joint are really not a hard job, 30 min a side.

Rev

Back