• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I don't get it...I don't get...shifting issues still

Double Down

NAXJA Forum User
First, refer to this post:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=57683

Second, so last night I completely replaced my battery with an Optima blue top and redid all the battery wiring with Jeepers Creepers battery cables. Since I put the new battery in (old was working fine, just wanted that one up front) I decided to test the solenoid wires coming off the TCU with the key on, backpinning them. So tested them and what I found was that solenoid "B", pin 13 (97XJ) was not giving me anything so figured that one was the bad one.

Anyway, so I get up this afternoon to head out and I forgot that I had left the Trans computer harness plugged into the TCU and that it was in automatic. So I'm driving around for about 5 minutes and realize that the sucker is shifting through ALL the gears without any real problems. I about fell out of the jeep!

I cannot even being to understand why all of a sudden it works when before it wouldn't even shift into 2nd gear with the thing plugged in.

So now I am trying to see what I should do and why it works. The old battery was good, but the Optima is obviously more powerful. Could the extra power be sending more juice to something that wasn't getting tons of juice? If so, that really doesn't solve the problem because that means in my mind that something is still broke or not working problem and because it is getting more juice (or enough to make it work) it is working.

The only other things off the top of my head is that could the TCU be getting more power with the new battery and sending out a better signal?

Could the TPS be getting more power?

ARGGGGGGGGHHHHH, this is driving me nuts ;)

What I did notice while it was working and shifting through the gears is that it was shifting somewhat hard, not exactly smooth through 1 & 2nd...not sure what that means, but thought I'd throw it out there.

I was planning on dropping the pan this weekend to check the solenoids to verify anyway and replace the one I thought was bad. Do any of you think that something may have (or still is) caught up in the screen or solenoids that the extra power is helping it through? Because obviously now all the solenoids seem to be working right now and the only change I know of was the battery. Should I get a complete trans flush or just drop the pan and clean everything out and put fluid back in?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Alot of intermittant issues have been cleaned up by replacing the battery or cleaning grounds and replacing power cables. It happens all the time on here so that yours is now working does not suprise me. It could also be that you moved a bad connection that might have been borderline corroded or dirty and in so moving, disconnecting and reconnecting fixed the problem by 'cleaning' the connection. This by the way is also a very valid reason for using dielectric grease on any connectors you take apart and reconnect. I'd keep driving it, the system may need to relearn some parameters, I know my 98 did when I swapped the idiot light instrument cluster for a gauge cluster and had the battery unplugged 3 times and each time it was disconnected for about 35 minutes. It ran like crap for about 40 miles [not real crappy but there were some power/acceleration issues during that time] then when I restarted it it was back to it's normal self.

Rich,

Thanks, but here's another question. Since I had change batteries, I am guessing that all previous codes are gone? If so, i went to the Zone and had them run a code check since my check engine light is out. What they came up with is:

P0705 & P1698

From what I can tell the first one is P0705 Transmission Range Sensor Circuit malfunction (PRNDL Input) and I think has something to do with the safety switch? If so, why would it be driving "normally"? Is it just a stored code or something I should check?

I have no idea what the second one is for...

Chris

Back