• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

get rid of the squeak

ChandlerXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 XJ with abour 70,000 miles on it. My engine makes this squeaky sound in the engine compartment and it's seriously annoying. When I'm going fast it either goes away or I can't hear it - I haven't decided. This noise is awful while idoling. Anyone know what's up? I brought it to the shop to look at my radiator on an unrelated issue (slow leak) and the guy said all jeeps make this sound....

chandler

All jeep make a little valve noise but I never heard of all of them making a a squeak.

Did you check your belt to make sure it is tight and there are no cracks? Worn out belts will squeek and are definetely annoying. Also, if you have a stethescope (or a clotheshanger works sometimes), you can check to see if the noise is coming from the bearing on one of the pullies, sometimes they sqeek too.

Dean

Another common cause is the harmonic balancer pully starting to go....it starts going off center and the belt gets shifted causing it to squeak on one of the other pullys.

Look down at it can compare the belt alignment with the other pullys. A lot of times it will start to creep towards the timming case cover.

Don't buy one from the junk yard....it's already worn out. You can get one from Krage motor sports for about $60, or the dealer for about $75.

My annoying squeek was my distributer. When I would gently push down on the dist. cap while running the tone would go away or change. When i pulled the distributer, I could turn it by hand and reproduce the squeek. I could also feel play in it. I installed a new one and now it's nice and quiet.

Personally, my PS pump is starting to go. Thanks for the reminder.

Try applying water to the different shafts until squeak goes away--you'll locate the offending part.

Back