• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ok got a major problem

hawaiian89xj

NAXJA Forum User
while i drive there is this really loud knocking from the rear it sounds like the rear hatch or rear tire carrier so i checked the tire carrier but it was not it so i wedged a towel in the hatch still nothing so i raised the hatch and rode with it open while someone drove now i found the sound it is coming from the rear shakels there is anywhere from 1/4 - 1/2 inch of play in them where they connect to the body any ideas of how i can fix this? plus i still have a ton of trail pix i ned someone to host them

Sounds like bushings are shot. try getting new shackles or new bushings

It's either bushings are shot like 96xj said, or if you forgot to tighten the shackle bolt when you installed it, it could have elongated the hole from all the movements and impacts it takes. If that's the case, take it apart, make sure the nut inside the body is fine, and then either weld up the hole on the other side and redrill, or weld a plate on top of the hole and redrill.

When I had the bushings replacd on my 88 XJ the shop found it cheaper to buy new shackles from Jeep than to find aftermarket ones to install into my old shackles.

They also found only the jeep dealer could get them the bushings for the rear leaf springs. Check the attachment but you may be due for all new bushings. It did improve the ride of my XJ once the work was done.

ok i checked the bushings they are pretty shot, just a note i did not install the lift i bought it with the lift

Back