• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM vs A1Cardone PS pump?

Maz

NAXJA Forum User
I put my XJ together after H2O pump replacement; fired her up to burp the system, and the bearing sound is still there. I found my stethoscope in some black hole (AKA garage), checked everything in the front and it's the PS pump with a loud noise.

I am going to do the PS flush as mentioned by Martin, 5-90, and others.

I called a few dealers and the lowest price OEM power steering pump (including reservoir) I found is $210 (ouch). NAPA carries A1Cardone for $86, and they offered to pull the pulley for me for free, if I take the old pump down to the store.

MY original PS pump lasted something like 250K miles. I have been through THREE pumps since then (280K miles). Getting tired of paying my mechanic to replace with junk pumps he gets from his supplier, (note: different ones everytime).

Should I take a *forth* chance with A1Cardone, or should I bite the bullet and get OEM pump, hoping my wife doesn't find out how much I have sank in the jeep, this past month? Anybody with GOOD experience with A1Cardone PS pumps?

Thanks everyone .... Maz
1989 4.0L AW4 stock 280K miles

My OE pump lasted WELL over 100k i am on pump # 6 of aftermakert
4 A1 Cardones and 4 FenCos .. each aftermarket pump gives me a good year of service before it goes kaput.... i added a filter thinking there was crud in the system causing early pump death but thei filter increased the fluid pressure and caused lots of air bubbles and problems.... i decided when this pump buys the farm that I am going to go with an OE pump you can get 100% new ones online for less then the 200 i have seen them on ebay and i think crownautomotive sales 100% new one

after switching brands and even going with a later year pump im convicned u just cant reman a pump as good as the new ones

wilcharl said:
i am on pump # 6 of aftermakert...........
Thanks for replying. Well, I guess I shouldn't feel too bad. So OEM is it this time around.

What kind of PS fluid did you use? I have searched all the posts related to PS fluid and I couldn't conclude a definite answer on what to use. My Owner Manual says use "Jeep Power Steering Fluid PN 82200 946" and the FSM says use "Mopar Power Steering Fluid, Dexron II". I am really confused here. Is the fluid just tranny Dexron fluid, or is it something else available at dealer only (presumably clear fluid). Or, is there a Dexron II / III PS fluid that I haven't been able to find on the shelves of Autozone and such.

Anybody care to "un-confuse" me?

Thanks all .. Maz

Dexron II/III is automatic transmission fluid (red) and is all I use - the Saginaw parts seem to love it.

I also use A1C remanufactured pumps almost exclusively (and gearboxes...) and haven't had enough trouble to mention. There have been cases where I had a "mis-box" (wrong part, right part number) but that's about it.

You can go with OEM or Omix-Ada (you can get good prices on Omix-Ada from Morris 4x4 center - I believe it's www.morris4x4center.com) if you want.

I've been using Morris for a while now - Omix-Ada parts are OEM quality or better, and their prices are great!

5-90

I have an OE out of a 94 yours for $60 shipped.
ASAT

I have always ran a name brand PS fluid... recently i used the valvoline synthetic because it was on sale... I have had good luck with all other cardone pumps.. I really think that either the PS pump is something that just isnt really remanable to new standards or that there is something else in the system but like i said i ran a filter and replaced the lines and even on the second gearbox the gearbox was replaced at 7 yrs old with an OEM one and that one has lasted 8 yrs and is just starting to leak just a smidgeon

Back