• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford Stub with Chevy Knuckle

Lincoln

NAXJA Member #321
NAXJA Member
Finally getting around to getting my high steer setup on.

I know it's been asked but I've never heard of anyone actually trying to use the Ford stubs with the Chevy knuckle and spindle. Here's what it looks like.

hubpic.jpg

The splines hit full height at almost the exact same spot for the hub and the stub. I think there is plenty of length and I never ran the snap ring on the end anyway.

Anyone else agree that I've been spewing BS at people saying they had to use the Chevy/Waggy stub? Or am I spewing BS now saying it will work? Or am I just spewing BS all the time?

Jes said:
No, I just thought I'd thow that out there. :wave:

I though so. In my defense I'm not a dumba$$ all the time, just most of it. I'm going to have to find a new board, everyone is figuring me out. :laugh3:

Lincoln said:
Anyone else agree that I've been spewing BS at people saying they had to use the Chevy/Waggy stub? Or am I spewing BS now saying it will work? Or am I just spewing BS all the time?

Not neccesarily, it does work either way. But the only snag was the snap ring. If your comfortable not running the ring, then yes it works. If you feel you have to have one, then no it doesn't work................ :laugh3:

When I was investigating this stuff, I read that the shorter Ford stubs would work if you didn't care about running the snap rings. I used the Chevy/Waggy stubs but still didn't use the snap rings for awhile, with no known negative results. I do run the snap rings now, but don't really know what difference it makes. My opinion is that the axle centers itself from the action of the u-joint working......the u-joint basically centers itself as it turns.

Lincoln is still a dumbass, though. Post pics AFTER it's all together asking "will this work?" :huh: :rolleyes:

:D :D

David Taylor said:
Doesn't the snap-ring hold the axle in so the rubber seal will work ?

Yes, I believe it's there to hold it tight. My shafts bottom anyway so the seal stays pretty tight.

On the Ford outers I couldn't get the shaft to pull out far enough for the snap ring so I've been running without for 3 years or so. Walmart told me they weren't required for their parking lot.

Goatman said:
When I was investigating this stuff, I read that the shorter Ford stubs would work if you didn't care about running the snap rings. I used the Chevy/Waggy stubs but still didn't use the snap rings for awhile, with no known negative results. I do run the snap rings now, but don't really know what difference it makes. My opinion is that the axle centers itself from the action of the u-joint working......the u-joint basically centers itself as it turns.

Lincoln is still a dumbass, though. Post pics AFTER it's all together asking "will this work?" :huh: :rolleyes:

:D :D

See that's is what caused you to break. You did it correctly.

Just for kicks I turned the knuckle to full lock and spun the driveshaft. I couldn't see the shaft move in/out when turning the knuckle or the shaft when it was spun. Didn't use a dial on it though.

I'll just run it and if it breaks we can discuss while I oversee YOU make the needed fix. :D

Just have to get the draglink, tie rod, and track bar (maybe) cut down to fit. I'm starting to think I should have done this from the start.

Finally you admit to spewing BS. I feel vindicated... You're still a dumbass.

If you're running in water or muddy conditions than it would be wise to run the snapring or water will have an "easier" time of sneaking into your wheel bearings & hubs. The snapring pulls the stub shaft up against it's seal behind the spindle. whether or not you run a snapring will not change your dumbass status...

Matt

This thread sucks with that red x and no pictures! NM, it worked after I posted! Weird!

all the axle stub snap ring does is help hold the nuts on the shaft if they happen to work loose.That's not very likely. There is NO "structural strength" reason other than that. They don't help hold the axle snugged up to anything. That is what the two (double nutted) nuts do.

Danno said:
all the axle stub snap ring does is help hold the nuts on the shaft if they happen to work loose.That's not very likely. There is NO "structural strength" reason other than that. They don't help hold the axle snugged up to anything. That is what the two (double nutted) nuts do.

The snap actually helps pull the seal that is pressed onto the stub, near the yoke, into the back of the spindle. This helps keep water out.

It's not structural, it's for sealing only.

CRASH

CRASH said:

Is this a motion? Can non members vote?

Can't recall ever running the snap ring. Of course I used to have my hubs off so much there was no chance of water actually staying in there.

OneTonXJ said:

Can't recall ever running the snap ring. Of course I used to have my hubs off so much there was no chance of water actually staying in there.

In your case, I would imagine hub-change speed was more important than sealing considerations.

I mean, really, how many times during a single trail would a group want to wait on a hub change?

CRASH

CRASH said:
In your case, I would imagine hub-change speed was more important than sealing considerations.

I mean, really, how many times during a single trail would a group want to wait on a hub change?

CRASH

5 minutes 48.5 seconds. Average of 30 hubs per year.

OneTonXJ said:

No, non members don't count, they are "has been's". They are also NOT allowed to hang onto the shirt tails of the upstanding family members that are current members. :D

Back