• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ATLAS speedo question

XJoachim

NAXJA Forum User
I installed my 3.8 Atlas today. Everything went fine except the speedo hookup. I could not insert the stock speedo gear (long shaft) into the housing. What do i have to modify? Short shaft gear?

I just did an Atlas 4.3. You have to rotate the plastic gears around to get them to seat. Mine didn't just slide in. Try that!? You are gonna love that Atlas!

I found that I had to rotate the housing aound until not only the gears engaged, but they were clocked to register the speed properly, only gotcha in the whole deal, I goofed and re-used the old o-ring seal..use the new one that comes with the case,the beotch will leak . If I ever find mine I will change it out, I agree you'll love it once you're all set up - it's an awesome piece of hardware.

I tried, the carrier fits without the gear, but with the gear installed i can't get it in enough to see a chance to bolt it in. I just don't want to mess anything up so i think i better ask :wierd:

did you try rotating the entire sending unit in the housing, hint -> get the o ring and the inside lubricated with a drop or two of gear oil, it should be possible to turn it gently to get the gear in the right position to work, if not I would try to contact advance adapters to see if they have any other suggestions....unless someone here has a better idea, btw, what year xj is it? the senders and gears have evolved over the years so it may be a bit different - but I suspect it should not be too far off. hth

What speedo gear tooth count are you installing?
If it has more than 39 teeth you'll have to install the speedo gear and the housing separately.

lol, just yank it in there, i changed TC on my XJ this weekend, the new one i got did not want to take that speedo thing, finally i put it in, and it was ok, but my speedometer did not work, so i just lifted the vehicle, had my father sit there and boot it and i turned the speedo gear around... nothing will hapeen, finally after few mins, i got it to work;)

Will try tomorrow again and will have pictures then :wave:

Purple said:
lol, just yank it in there, i changed TC on my XJ this weekend, the new one i got did not want to take that speedo thing, finally i put it in, and it was ok, but my speedometer did not work, so i just lifted the vehicle, had my father sit there and boot it and i turned the speedo gear around... nothing will hapeen, finally after few mins, i got it to work;)

i think this is the best idea yet you may even want to get a 10lb sledge and give it a whirl that auta fix it:laugh3:

Back