• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hard to crank engine

mrfoo

NAXJA Forum User
For the last few weeks on occasion when my engine is cold and I try to crank it, it will "cough" and cut off after about 2 seconds then I crank it again and it turns over fine with no problems. I noticed my battery leads were a bit corroded so i cleaned them off about 3 or 4 days ago. Since then it has almost returned back to normal with the exception that when I cranked it up, it took it a second longer than usual. Now tonight when I attempted to crank it up it sounded like I had a dead battery but it still turned over. I had someone jump me off but I found out that I HAVE to press the gas peddle when cranking it up and rev the engine for about a minute or if I don't it will completely cut off. I dont think it is my battery and the volt meter was reading fine at around 14 volts. If anyone has any suggestions please help. Thanks

when you turn the key on can you hear the fuel pump running ,, if so let the pump "cycle", when it shuts off try starting it. also a fuel pressure check may be needed. a xjs system should run at 49 psi, give or take 5 lbs. also if your cables are exposed at all ,some corrosion may have moved its way down them .replace them theyre cheap maintance.

What year, how many miles?

Sounds to me like the starter is dying.

I am not too familiar with jeep parts and stuff but how would I go about gettin my fuel system checked and to the other post, it is a '98 with about 66,300 miles.

Back