• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sliders that dont use pinch seam

andyr354

NAXJA Forum User
I need to decide what to do about my rockers. They are somewhat crunched at the present time, but you could have put your foot through them if you kicked them anyway.

I was thinking of completely replacing them with rect tube (read many threads on this), but the area is rusty enough I don't know if it will hold well. The pinch seam is basically gone from the back of the drivers door to the fenderwell from cancer (sucks living in a state with a bunch of salt mines!)

I could still do the tube but I think I should tie it in to the main body rails well to make it tough enough.

Just looking to see what other rustbelt fabbers may have come up with.

Mine still have paint on them so I've got a ways to go before i replace. in your situation I'd start with the rec tube replacement then use square tube back to a bracket that boxes the frame. Then 1/2 way between the rocker and frame I'd run another tube down the length to stiffen it and provide an additional slide surface.

They salt the heck out of the roads here in the winter, stays around on the gravel roads too for quite a long time so I know exactly what you're dealing with. My rockers were very well ventilated but once I cut them out the inner rocker wasn't all that bad. I did replace a couple small sections but nothing major. Not that bad of a job.

andyr354 said:
I need to decide what to do about my rockers. They are somewhat crunched at the present time, but you could have put your foot through them if you kicked them anyway.

I was thinking of completely replacing them with rect tube (read many threads on this), but the area is rusty enough I don't know if it will hold well. The pinch seam is basically gone from the back of the drivers door to the fenderwell from cancer (sucks living in a state with a bunch of salt mines!)

I could still do the tube but I think I should tie it in to the main body rails well to make it tough enough.

Just looking to see what other rustbelt fabbers may have come up with.
I have always liked this idea. http://www.4x4trailhunters.com/article.php?id=17

theschwarz1 said:
i dont understand why that guys slideers dont bend when using a hi-lift...he doesn't have it attached to the frame at all......maybe I just don't understand

He's got it tied into the pillar structures, which is what could be considered the vertical portion of the frame. I've done this myself and it's a lot stronger than anything you can buy, that's for damn sure.

My only advice is to get it as clean as possible. Welding sheet metal to heavy steel is not easy. I basically just ran the puddle on the heavy steel right next to the sheet metal and it bonds well. If it's not perfectly clean it will pop and blow holes in the sheet metal. Welding underneith...just take your time and expect it to be a serious PITA the first time.

It really is strong. I have slammed it on rocks and used it to pivot around rocks. It's seriously stout and has tons of ground clearance.

Back