• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Description of DC Perf Plug Wires?

I've seen OEM plug wires in Red, Black, Blue and Gray, it's the thickness that tells the story not the color.

Mopar Performance wires are 7.5mm and have "Mopar Performance Parts" printed on the wires. My fuzzy recollection is that they are yellow.

My favorites are the Accel performance spiral wound wires. They don't have the carbon center, they have a spiral wound internal conductor to reduce radio interference, but have an actual low ohm conductor. They have all the advantage of the old Packard 440 wires but without the interference. I get the 8mm wires to prevent arc over and get the generic kit so I can put the ends on myself. I don't know why but every aftermarket wire kit is always considerably longer and leads to wires flopping all over. Oh by the way they are a pretty shade of yellow.

Eagle Mopar Performance wires are 7.5mm and have "Mopar Performance Parts" printed on the wires. My fuzzy recollection is that they are yellow.

All of the Mopar Performance plug wires I've used ( 3 sets of 2.2/2.5 8mm and two sets of 4.0l 7.5mm) have been in a blue color, all the way back to about '96 (IIRC).

Thank you all for your responses! last week end I bought Blue Streak rotor and cap. I also installed a stock Throttle Body that was bored out to inlet diameter. The combination was impressive. Since I did both at the same time, I really didn't know which was contributing the most. Still don't, but I put the old distributor and cap back in and noticed a slight degridation in performance. The old rotor and cap are brass.

My next step is to install Accel wires I bought at the same time as the rotor and cap. They are the generic 8mm set for 8Cyl. The wires are way too long. If I could find boots and connectors at a reasonable price, I would make a set for my other XJ! But a set of boots and connectors are nearly $20! I paid $23 for the set of wires!

Back