• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing Ball/U-Joints: Can i rent the tools for the job? Where? What?

xjfish

NAXJA Forum User
I will be needing to replace both front U-joints in the junkyard axle I recently swapped in to my XJ soon and I might do the balljoints while I'm at it. U-joints and shafts will probably come from my old axle so I will need to remove 4 hubs...Only problem is I don't have a socket that fits the axle nut, a big enough torque wrench, or any kind of removal/press tool for the ball joints. Can I rent all the tools I need from and auto parts store or elsewhere? And if so can I do it without buying parts from them, what does it cost, ect.? I plan to eventually buy all the tools I need just to have for the trail/future repairs but can't really afford it all now. I have a 13mm socket for the hub nuts, and most "common" tools. I think i need:

-36MM 12pt socket: where can i find one?
-Big torque wrench: 175+ft lbs, rent?
-Ball joint press and removal tool? Rent? Just buy one?
-Hubs are rusted pretty bad on junkyard axle. Will I need a puller of some sort?
-missing anything?

xjfish said:
-Hubs are rusted pretty bad on junkyard axle. Will I need a puller of some sort?
-missing anything?
AUTOZONE OR ADVANCE AUTO should have all these things.. expect the socket to run aout $15... buy it and keep it for future use.. the most likely wont have the torque wrench as a loaner but the other stuff they will.. they generally make you buy it and return for ful credit after you return it.. the hub should come out fine with a BFH and a solid punch around the outer edge of it to break it loose.. i use longer-than-stock replacement bolts threaded in place of the normal ones to beat on the head to "pound it out" if it doenst come easy.

xjfish said:
Craftsman or Husky
long enough breaker bar and a quick calculation: distance from rotaion point times your weight equals to torque applies, so at 175 lbs weight you'd have to be 1 foot away from the but on the breaker bar to tighten to 175 ft lbs
kragen or auto zone should have them available for rent, or you can get them from Harbor Freight. THeir ball joint tool goes on sale for like $20 every so often.

xjfish said:
Doesn't have to be a 12-point socket - The hub sockets the parts stores sell are 6-point.

But you will need a 12-point 13 mm socket to remove the hub assembly bolts.

Kejtar said:
or you can get them from Harbor Freight. THeir ball joint tool goes on sale for like $20 every so often.

Ball Joints are a bitch to get out and back in. I have the Harbor Freight press and broke it 3 times on one ball joint.

Ghost said:
Ball Joints are a bitch to get out and back in. I have the Harbor Freight press and broke it 3 times on one ball joint.
I've used it on mine with usccess. The trick was to make a shimmed like spacer to counteract the slant in the mount surface in relation to the ball joint.

HF sells a several diferent ball joint presses. You want the heavier one, not the lighter one. AND...... get the kit that has the proper spacer with the angle on it for the Dana axles.

ChiXJeff said:
HF sells a several diferent ball joint presses. You want the heavier one, not the lighter one. AND...... get the kit that has the proper spacer with the angle on it for the Dana axles.

Thanks guys.
Are you talking about the 4x4 service one (Like $60 http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=4065) as opposed to the $20 http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=38335unit on sale now? I was planning on buying the $20 unit but if its going to break, kinda pointless... Rental ones work well?

Neither one of those are the one I got from HF. Mine is orange and look like the 4X4 one but no case. Maybe I'll give that one a shot.

Ghost said:
Neither one of those are the one I got from HF. Mine is orange and look like the 4X4 one but no case. Maybe I'll give that one a shot.
I got the one that's $20 and it works fine. Maybe the $59 one though has the dana adapters although from what I recall it didn't look like it.

got a PEP Boys close? they have a freaking huge balljoint press and a separate case with all the 4x4 adapters including the angled on I broke the Autozone one

madxj.com has a good write up on balljoint replacement. Greg

Back