• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need to pull axles?

Timber

NAXJA Forum User
I got into a bit of water this afternoon. Only the passenger side. Over the front tire and 2/3 up the rear (again, passenger side and I'm running 235/75/15s which sit at a real-world 27 3/4"). I pulled both diff covers and drained/refilled them--all looked great. So, the question is, do I still need to pull out the axles to check the tubes? Also, as a sideline question, I unscrewed the tranny drain plug, and the fluid looked normal so I hurried up and screwed it back in--do I need to investigate that further?

Timber said:
I got into a bit of water this afternoon. Only the passenger side. Over the front tire and 2/3 up the rear (again, passenger side and I'm running 235/75/15s which sit at a real-world 27 3/4"). I pulled both diff covers and drained/refilled them--all looked great. So, the question is, do I still need to pull out the axles to check the tubes? Also, as a sideline question, I unscrewed the tranny drain plug, and the fluid looked normal so I hurried up and screwed it back in--do I need to investigate that further?

if you checked the diffs you don't have to worry about anything else.

the outer tubes are sealed farther in, actual location depends if you have a disconnect axle or not, but i would not expect to have any real troubles.. it is a good idea to clean out the tubes regularly because stuff does settel in there but just a single water crossing shouldnt introduce enough debris in there to make something go bad.. it wouldnt be a BAD idea at all.. but not nessecary unles you do this regularly

Thanks, guys. This time was the worst as far as water depth. I'm mostly concerned because I'm just learning how to do my own work. I just did my read DS u joints the other day for the first time. I'll get there. Changing the diff fluid is no biggie--I do it yearly--but removing axles to clean the tubes is a bit intimidating yet.
What about the tranny fluid that I mentioned? It had been sitting a good hour or so, so I figured any water would have settled by then. Or at the very least, the tranny dipstick should have looked like a milkshake, right?

Back