• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

seals and u joint

el_roy1985

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I'm trying to replace my front axle seals along with the pinion seal and the passenger side wheel u joint. The problem is the upper and lower crown nuts to take off the steering knuckle WILL NOT BUDGE! The pins in them were rusted and I could not get them out so I got them mostly out of the way. The nuts will not budge at all though. I am tempted to just get a nut splitter and replace the nuts, anyone think this would actually work?

Also what size socket is the axle nut?

Please help ASAP.

I just hope the rear main seal and rear output shaft seal on the TC don't give me this much hassle.

axle nut is 36 mm. I don't think the ball joint nuts you will come off with a nut splitter. but why take the knuckle off for this? Get the hub out and the shaft will come with it. search for hub removal
John

Thanks, I didn't think of searching for hub removal. Just tried finding axle seal threads. I got up to the part where I got the seals out, now I just gotta wait for the new ones to arrive and figure out how to get them in there. In the mean time I put the carrier back in there cause I didn't realize I'd probably need that in there so I can remove the pinion bolt. I'll just put the axles back in and lock them in place somehow so I can wrench on that pinion bolt which I am pretty much 100% sure it will be a major pain to get off. Also I think I read that I should replace that nut with a new one after removing it, should I do this and if so does anyone know if it's a special nut that I can get at the parts store?

Now I just gotta figure out what I'm gonna do to replace the u-joint on the pass. side axle.

el_roy1985 said:
I'll just put the axles back in and lock them in place somehow so I can wrench on that pinion bolt which I am pretty much 100% sure it will be a major pain to get off.
Pipe wrench to hold the yoke and an impact or a long breaker bar and you're good to go.

WobblesXJ said:

thats a great write up... wish i had that 2 weeks ago... i didnt realize they made 297X disco outer shafts.. another side note is that if you are eliminating the disconnect with a non-disco shaft (as i did) the new, smaller, seal still goes in the same location on the passenger side.. it is the same seal as is on the driver-side that sits right next to the carrier bearing but a disconnect axle is not machined for it to fit in the center section.. it still goes "outboard" of the disconnect housing where the old one went..

Back