• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HVLP Experiences

old_man

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody out there paint with an HVLP setup. I've been painting for 35 years and recently tried an HVLP. What's the trick? I couldn't lay down a layer without getting orange peel. Do you run the paints thinner?

I got out of the business before hvlp was mandatory. I have found that a slower reducer will work for you. This way it has a little more time to flow. The downside is the paint or clear will run easily. It just takes a little practice and experimentation.

Roger that, it definitely takes some practice to convert over from a conventional cup gun to hvlp but once you've nailed down the proper combination of air, paint viscosity and mil thickness per coat, you'll be laying down smooth color.

Whats a good way to get the volume required for the HVLP? Do you just run a regulator close to the gun set down at that pressure but still use a conventional compressor? I have a 6.5hp w/80 gallon tank.

I run a air dryer and then a wall mounted regulator on the wall. At the gun I use a mini-regulator w/pressure gauge (like a cheater valve but with a gauge). I keep 100 psi to the gun and fine tune with the mini. The fluid nozzle
and air cap control how much air volume and fluid leaves the gun, which is related to your paint viscosity. So you need to find out the viscosity of your paint and select a atomizing set for that viscosity.
My main gun is Bink's mach one hvlp and I have 5 different sets of nozzles and air caps for it.
Orange peel is caused from: paint drying to fast (use proper solvent for conditions) or gun too far away from surface (6-8") and viscosity too heavy (reduce with solvent).
Hope this helps.

Back