• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hitch and skid plate

Fudd

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I've got an OEM gas tank skid on my XJ, and I'm trying to put on a hitch that apparently isn't designed to fit around the skidplate the skidplate is pushing the arms on the hitch out away from the bolt holes, I've been trying to bang in the sides of the skidplate w/ a mallet and block of wood but no luck, has anyone had any luck doing anything like this or should I just try to find a Mopar hitch?

that wouldn't work (although I did use a torch to make a slot for the skid's bolt head) the arms go to the inside of the bolt holes instead of the outside (if that makes any sense) If I don't figure something out tomorrow I'll post some pics

mine took 3 people, 1 floor jack, a few wood blocks, BMFH, and almost 30 mins... aftermarket hitches make ALL the difference... but ironically the aftermarket one fit BETTER than the OEM one i was planning to use...

Thanks for the advice everyone, that's what I was figuring on doing but I was hoping there was a trick that I wasn't seeing. grrr can't I get anything done on this thing without a BFH lol

Fudd said:
grrr can't I get anything done on this thing without a BFH lol

it's a big step when you finally understand that.... now go buy 2 more BMFHs because they are required equipment..

Back