• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got 2 of the skids, hitch, and discos on today....

fordtech

NAXJA Forum User
Just got done with the front and gas tank factory skids, and draw-tite hitch on my 98. I have to get some of those 'nut inserts' for the t-case skid to finish that.
Overall I was pleased with the ease of the install. After wrestleing with trying to line up the gas skid and hitch on the passenger side, I decided it was to easier remove the bumper and remove the nutstrip to run a bolt through it to clean up the threads. Of course the upper bumper mount nuts were well rusted on (and no room to work), so eventually I got them off and cleaned up the threads on the studs for the mount. I had the plates and bolts for the hitch along with the handy wire to feed them through, which made the driver side soooooo easy! Oh ya, and i broke the exhaust hanger, but nothing a vise and BFH couldnt fix.
The front skid when almost tooo easy. Basically rounded up some bolts that fit, and bolted it in. Almost too good to be true.
Also put in the factory trailer wiring harness. This is a pretty nice piece. I left the big plug off and just covered the connector and stuffed it up in the bumper. I doubt Ill need that serious of a setup, but its nice to have.
I also trimmed the from air dam up to about a 1.5 inch left. It looks good, and shows the skid (poser). I figure the skid will provide the aerodynamics that the air dam did anyways. Im debating on whether to cut the bumper ends, because they provide a little protection to the brand new factory fogs. I probably will though.
I have some low profile fogs that I may wire up for backups under the rear bumper. I dont know yet.

The discos were slightly used secondhand RE units. These are like my old JKS' I had on my yj, terrible design, but functional none the less. I got to take some aggression out on that stupid pressed in stud..... alittle heat and an air hammer take care of those. I was very suprised how much it took to get those to come out. Otherwise I used a bolt in the upper hole of the center section, and bolted it together tight. I just pull the bottom pins, flip the trackbar up and fold the ends up into the trackbar. I still need a retension setup though.

So that was 2 hours friday night, and about 3-4 today. Now I have skids, rear recovery/hitch, discos, and I washed it :) I hope to have some updated pics on my cardomain site, as soon as my wife brings the digital home.

Last edited:
Back