• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'97 belt diagram

olympicgold

NAXJA Forum User
anybody have a '97 4.0L belt diagram they can post.....I suspect my pump is rotating backwards and have heard its easy to install the belt incorrectly.

olympicgold said:
anybody have a '97 4.0L belt diagram they can post.....I suspect my pump is rotating backwards and have heard its easy to install the belt incorrectly.

1. Do you have AC? or not? (belt routing is different)
2. What makes you think that it's rotating backwards?

Thanks Kejtar!! well it looks like my belt is on correctly....: (

the problem is I've been overheating recently and since I just repaired the radiator (cleaned out, 75% of lines plugged) and also just replaced the head gasket I was trying to rule any other stuff out. I dont have the stock fan clutch but instead I have 2 aux 14" fans (push/pull) on the same side with a switch that basically has them on all the time. I have a 180* t-stat and an automatic trans with no aftermarket cooler. I can drive around no problem but as soon as I get into the sand BAM!!! overheats and water boils out of the bottle. I havent tried burping yet and will be doing that today, I did however fill the system through the heater hose. You guys recommend the 1/8 th hole technique in the t-stat???

Yes to the hole in the t-stat. Drill it at 12 o'clock.

Are you sure you've got the correct (reverse-rotation) waterpump? If you've got one for the 258 (4.2L) I-6 it will bolt up but spins the wrong way.

waterpump.jpg

That's the correct impeller for the 4.0L

Yucca-Man said:
Are you sure you've got the correct (reverse-rotation) waterpump? If you've got one for the 258 (4.2L) I-6 it will bolt up but spins the wrong way.
Very good point!
Also make sure that your radiator isn't clogged: sometimes even the new radiators will have restricted coolant flow due to debrie or loose solder floating inside and they will cause such behaviour.

Also try changing that push/pull fan set up to a pull/pull (or push/push depending on which side of the radiator they are on) set up. IMHO a push/pull set up pulls air past the radiator heating it then pushes the already heated air back through the other side.

scoobyxj said:
Also try changing that push/pull fan set up to a pull/pull (or push/push depending on which side of the radiator they are on) set up. IMHO a push/pull set up pulls air past the radiator heating it then pushes the already heated air back through the other side.
Oh yeah! I totally missed that. The push pull will be the most likely cause of your problem as that is just heating up your radiator and working against the cooler air coming in from the outside.

The water pump is still the stocker and hasnt been removed but since I did remove the belt a few times and I remember being able to place it like in 2 different ways I was just hoping that would be the cause.

I will remove the push style fan and configure a "pull/pull" situation although both the pull and the push are on the same side.So one is up front pushing in and the other is pulling from the inside. I made a typo and both fans are 12".What happened was a few weeks ago I was at the dunes and I overheated, got home pulled the radiator and took it to get cleaned. There was sludge and all sorts of debris stuck in at least 75% of the lines,I flushed the block/lines and just in case installed the other fan(pull) and its really been overheating since. I also noticed that the a/c condesor has alot of small pebbles and will try pressure washing that today.What do you guys think about water wetter?Thanks guys

Last edited:
olympicgold said:
What happened was a few weeks ago I was at the dunes and I overheated, got home pulled the radiator and took it to get cleaned. There was sludge and all sorts of debris stuck in at least 75% of the lines,I flushed the block/lines and just in case installed the other fan(pull) and its really been overheating since. I also noticed that the a/c condesor has alot of small pebbles and will try pressure washing that today.What do you guys think about water wetter?Thanks guys
When they cleaned the radiator did they test it for flow?
In regards to water wetter: yes it works but it's a band aid. If your cooling system worked fine and then it stopped working as well find the problem and fix it first then look into improving it or augmenting it (and not the other way around).

OK!! I just removed the pull fan and installed the stock clutch fan and placed the front push fan a little to the center. I rigged the A/C fan to turn on at the same time as the front fan which turns on via a switch. I went to the gas station,drove around traffic for a while and came back home. I think it worked because usually a drive in traffic like this gets the water boiling inside the block when I turn it off and this time I didnt get anything......sounded *gasp* almost normal LOL!!!
Anyways its supposed to be 113-115*'s outside today so I probably wont pressure wash the condensor till dark. I'm thinking a higher capacity radiator sometime soon along with a high flow pump and trans cooler. Thanks again

Back