• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ever used HAMMERITE?

KingOfTheHill

NAXJA Forum User
Hammerite is a rust encapsulater from Rusteloum... but leaves a nice finish.... saw a fellow Jeeper with it on his fender flairs and bumpers and he loved it....

reason im asking is because he just applied it and has only been on a week he said... so im looking at more the long term quality on this stuff.... he grabbed his fender flair and pushed and pulled it and it flexed and did not crack... i was relly impressed by it and want to use it on my xj but curious what you guys think first.... before i spray it on and have to somehow take it off a month now... lol

JOe

I use it on my bumpers and flares too. It works great easy touch up on rockers after bashing them up

I´ve covered the inside of two of our XJs with black Hammerite. Their special primer first, than two layers of Hammerite, and then I put back in the carpet. I hoped for some sound dampening, but that didn´t work out.
bg_hammerited.jpg

Last edited:
Painted my front and rear bumper and rock rails with it. Major chipping on the front bumper after one season. Repainted and major chips after another season. It looks to be too brittle after it hardens up. I like the look of Hammerite, but I'm looking for something more durable.

There's a BIG difference between Hammerite and the stuff Rust-Oleum makes called Hammered Finish. The Rust-Oleum product looks good but isn't as durable, I have my front bumper on my MJ painted with it. It does touch up easily because the texture blends well.

Here's the website for Hammerite

Last edited:
I rebuilt a flatfender and painted the frame with black Hammerite. It still looks good 5 years and lots of Washington wheelin later. I plan on using it on my rocker guards for my XJ. I'll give it a 9.1.

TekkaMaki said:
There's a BIG difference between Hammerite and the stuff Rust-Oleum makes called Hammered Finish. The Rust-Oleum product looks good but isn't as durable, I have my front bumper on my MJ painted with it. It does touch up easily because the texture blends well.

duly noted. I'll have to check this stuff out

Ditto on there being a big difference. I had ordered a case of the Hammerite and really held up good. Use the Rustoleum hammered finish because it's more available but eventhough it looks the same, not even close to as durable.

does rustoleum make both? i was unaware of the difference. i have 2 cans of the 'hammered' to paint my bumper, would you guys recommend getting stronger stuff? how weak is this paint?

POR-15 is amazing stuff, not available in spray can, but you could run it through a spray gun, or just roll or brush it on. we put some on our boat trailer axle swing arms, and they are awesome. these trailers get dunked in salt water several times a week and rinsed off with fresh water, but still sit in a salt air environment. it's woth a look into, pretty expensive, but def worth it.

I agree with the POR-15, Nice product but more expensive than the spray can stuff, and It says the metal will never rust once coated with it. I have yet to see any of my freinds trucks with por-15 on the bumpers/frames/floors rust

TekkaMaki said:

So where do you order it from??

I got the price list...but no vendor list.

KingOfTheHill said:
Hammerite is a rust encapsulater from Rusteloum...
Hammerite is an actual brand. Rustoleum was forced (due to patent restrictions) to make theirs a sort of "dumbed down" (not as good/strong) version. When you ask people if they used Hammerite, check to see if they used the real thing or not; it does make a difference.

Hammerite is made here in the UK (I think the company is owned by ICI, big paint and chemical manufacturers). It's available in smooth or hammered finish, and various colours. It's widely used by car owners, gardeners, and DIY-ers to paint over, or slow down, rust.

I guess Hammerite is closer to POR-15 than to a standard "hammered metal" paint finish, and the maker claims it is usable directly on to rusty surfaces. It isn't really flexible when cured, so could chip, I guess, on impact. I don't think it converts or bonds with rust in the way that POR-15 supposedly does - rather it 'contains' or seals it in. I have seen magazine tests of it alongside POR-15, Rust Bullet, and other similar products. It doesn't perform noticeably better.

Some people swear by it. Others are wary because it isn't very compatible with other primers or paints. I'm no chemist, but Hammerite's chemical composition is clearly different from other paints - so if you use it, and then want to replace or cover it with some other paint, there's a risk of wrinkled surface, lack of adhesion, and other weird effects.

You pays your money and you takes your choice. Personally, if I was in the US and paying US prices I'd use POR-15...

br1anstorm

Back