• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

e-brake light

David95XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I just finished installing my RE 3.5 kit.

The E-brake lines are plenty loose and i know that my e-brake is not engaged, but with the handle down the e-brake light on the dash is still lit up.

david

The e-brake light also serves as a sort of "brake system check" light... sort of.

What it's telling you is that there is a pressure difference between the front portion of your braking system and the rear portion, which usually means a leaky rear wheel cylinder or a leak in the line somewhere, or air in the system.

The RE 3.5" kit includes a longer rear soft line from the body to the axle... I assume you installed this and have no leaks, but did you bleed the brakes after you finished up? This is important, as cracking the system open by taking the old line off introduces air into the system, which will compress and soak up the braking pressure from the master cylinder.

Check for leaks and bleed the brakes. DON'T drive it on the road until you fix this problem.

David95XJ said:
checked for leaks and fully bleed the system, how can i reset this light?

David
Close all bleeders and step on the brakes -- hard. If everything is good, the light will go off. If it stays on, you have a problem.

Ok well i got the brake light off, but another problem has risen.

can you strip the bleeder valve screws? because i can't get my one to tighten and the fluid just keeps pooring out, any ideas?

David

wow! usually they break before stripping... just replace that cylindar if you stripped the bore it's toast if you stripped the bleed screw and DO get another one to thread in it'll prolly push the thread bits into the slave and booger it up down the road.

The screws are brass and the cylinders and calipers are steel or cast iron, so more than likely it's the screw that stripped. You can buy replacements -- I think I have seen them in the HELP! section at pep Boys.

Eagle said:
The screws are brass...

ya know, i've seen you say this before.. and i have never seen a BRASS bleeder screw.... i agree they are a soft, crappy metal that will easily round-off (just like brass)... but i have never identified mine as brass.... however, admittedly i havent run out and stuck my head under any of the rigs when i had this on my mind.

:gag:

Back