• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire info

xjoe

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I need a little info,but first a little back ground-I am looking for a tire in the 36-37 inch range. I will be driving my xj to the trail, but it isn't a D.D anymore. I was thinking of SSR's (radial) or Iroc's (Bias). Tsl's are also available in radial or Bias.

So I geuss this is a what would you do question, I just don't have much experiance with tires as far as bias/radials and how they perform and wear ect. Any comments or suggestions? Thanks,
xjoe

dzraces said:
a lot of it will depend on how you drive and where you drive
I'm in the pacific nw, so the trails are muddy,some rocks loose hill climbs. there are also areas where I can play on the rocks. So I geuss a little of everything. As I said it's no longer a daily driver so I am leaning towords the Bias iroc's.

bias will give you more flex and a softer ride as well as better grip on the rocks, having said that I think the irocs will be a good choice. something you might also consider is the pro comp mud terrains. I have a few friends running them and really speak well of them.

cool, I am thinking that the IROC's are going to work. My next problem is that I am currently rubbing my L.A with 3.75" b-spacing&12.50 tires. So to run the 13.50's I think I will get a wheel w/2.5 b-spacing. Does that sound right?

I ran Gen 1 Cooper STT's for a year, same basic tire as the Pro-Comps. They worked well overall, but would pack up in gooey mud. I now have TSL bias..they are very good in the mud. The bias tires will "flat spot" from sitting and will ride like a hay wagon on the road untill they get good and warmed up.
Aired down they will go anywhere it is possible to go.

Several of the "small tired" trucks (read that as 39.5's) that showed up for the last Trucks Gone Wild event had IROC's. They did very well in the mud. (considering the mud was 3 to 4 feet deep in places) and a couple of them actually made it thru the Bogg.

Back