• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need NP231 Case HELP ASAP!! Thanks

Purple

NAXJA Forum User
My case went poo, so i got a deal at a new case from chrysler, came in a crate etc... everything cool except my SYE that was in my old case(it was only 4 months old) so i take both apart, swap the shaft, swap the speedo gear, seal it with a silicone slap the sucker together and while turning rear output shaft it makes a clicking noise, i noticed that its the 4x4 gears touching the ring that is on the main fork. What to do? i just put it back together for the second time and does same shit! wtf? i also have the second case apart, and it does same thing, i thought maybe the cone needs to allign it into place, so i screw everything together and same shit... what is causing that? Again, the main ring that sits in the fork, is touching one of the gears, it touches it just slightly so it clicks when turned by hand.

Did you miss a snap ring?

hmmm, i dont think so, where could i miss a snap ring? here is what i did, i removed the stock cone, two snaprings there, removed the cover, pulled both the main shaft and front shaft with chain out, replaced the whole main shaft with the one that was in my other case, put both of these in, with the chain on it, and thats it. installed the oil pickup thing, and thats it, i tried both with cone off, and on. What i noticed, is that after reassembly the rear output either clicks, or is STUCK PERMANENTLY, front one moves, but not as free as before the assembly. ALSO... i think this is the issue, when i put the cover back on, the oil pump is sitting tight against the cover, and only the gear inside of it moves-the one that sits on the splines of the main shaft. is that the way it is supposed to be? im starting to loose it:)

also i dont have any "spare" parts lying around:) so missing a snap ring is out of question.

Maybe you put the synchronizer sleeve (#18) backwards in the mode fork (#49), it will fit backwards.

NP231TCdiagramfull.jpg

hmmm, i doubt it, everything went in the same way it was taken out, but i will take pictures and post them here. give med 30mins to dissassemble the case.

here are the pics, see how both of the chains in both of the transfer cases look uneven? on the front shaft side they seem to be higher a little bit... is this normal? the third pic is of my newly assembled sye, i dont see anything wrong;( Dont mind the liquid gasket, i pulled it apart 4 times already, there is plenty more to come! and yes i have few more filters:)

Tcase3.jpg

Tcase2.jpg

Also the last picture, see the oil pump? is the cover supposed to sit on it? and press it down? i know its not supposed to move because of the fitting with the filter, but is cover supposed to press against it?

Tcase.jpg

found out what the problem was, i was sticking the oil pump under the half of th e tcase cover, not between the half and sye cone:p
thanks everyone

Back