• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Codes

BCKNBLK

NAXJA Forum User
Ive got some codes that need deciphering if anyone has the proper book. I have an '01 sport and the check engine light came on. I got it checked at Autozone and the codes they gave me were 'P0442' and 'P0456'. The guy said it had something to do with the EVAP system. He was very vague and basically said the problem was the gas cap. So if anyone can spare a few minutes and look these up and give me a better understanding of what the problem may be, it would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Straight from the 2000 FSM;

P0442 (M) ---Evap Leak Monitor Medium Leak Detected (A leak has been detected in the evaporative system.)

P0456 (M) ---Evap Leak Monitor Small Leak Detected (Leak has been detected in the evaporative system.)

Sound like a leak in your evaporative emissions system.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help! Looks like I'm headed for the EVAP system so its time to fasten our seatbelts....

Ok, heres the poop for anyone looking here in the future with a similar problem. For codes P0442 and P0456 it leads you to the EVAP system, which is pretty simple. The problem was the gas cap, I changed it yesterday and the check engine light went off this afternoon. Took a while, but I read in one of my code books that it takes 50 ignition cycles to reset from this type of code, so I THINK I sped up the process by turning on the ignition and letting all the self tests take place, then turning it off and removing the key and waiting for 3 seconds. Repeated this about forty times. Regardless, the problems gone.

Back