• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 8.8 Build Up Q's

d10shun

NAXJA Forum User
I am getting ready to purchase a Ford 8.8. I have seacherd here and read http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/ford88.html A few questions I still have are as follows:

- Since the pinion offset is 2 3/16" to the right, about 1 1/2" more than my d35, does this cause bind or vibration in the driveshaft. I have about 4.5" lift and a SYE. The jedi guy said that a stock d.s. would be better than a double cardan. Should I be concerned?

-Pinion length. The 8.8 pinion is 1" longer than the d35. To adjust for this do I need the MORE offset spring plates to move the axle back or will my SYE compensate?

- Shock mounts. On the Jedi site, he was able to move the upper shock mount up 2.5" using a special MORE shock mount so that he could weld the lower shock mount flush with the axle tube. This works fine on a YJ but how should this be approached for an XJ? BUy shorter shocks?

Ben

d10shun said:
I am getting ready to purchase a Ford 8.8. I have seacherd here and read http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/ford88.html A few questions I still have are as follows:

- Since the pinion offset is 2 3/16" to the right, about 1 1/2" more than my d35, does this cause bind or vibration in the driveshaft. I have about 4.5" lift and a SYE. The jedi guy said that a stock d.s. would be better than a double cardan. Should I be concerned?

-Pinion length. The 8.8 pinion is 1" longer than the d35. To adjust for this do I need the MORE offset spring plates to move the axle back or will my SYE compensate?

- Shock mounts. On the Jedi site, he was able to move the upper shock mount up 2.5" using a special MORE shock mount so that he could weld the lower shock mount flush with the axle tube. This works fine on a YJ but how should this be approached for an XJ? BUy shorter shocks?

Ben

The slight offset isn't an issue.....no concerns.

The pinion length is good, makes up for what you lost with the lift. If you get an SYE you'll need a new driveshaft anyway.

Many of us have moved our shock mounts up even with the axle.....better ground clearance.

Goatman said:
The slight offset isn't an issue.....no concerns.

The pinion length is good, makes up for what you lost with the lift. If you get an SYE you'll need a new driveshaft anyway.

Many of us have moved our shock mounts up even with the axle.....better ground clearance.

The vibes are probably not noticeable on a standard leaf setup, but with a three-heim traction bar, there are some vibes. Not bad, but notable.

CRASH

Okay, so you moved your shock mounts up and lost 2.5-3" of shock. Did you have to get a shorter shock?

the offset isnt really an issue, it gets the driveshaft a little close to the muffler, so if you have a big huge aftermarket muffler it might hit. It does not hit my stock muffler and I have no vibes with the RE hack and tap SYE.

On mine I used MORE perches and JKS shock mounts. the JKS mounts move the shocks up just about flush with the tube. My shocks are a little short, if i hit a bump offroad at speed they can bottom out. But normal driving and crawling I never notice it. I also have BPE's on my rear shocks so that sucks up some more length.

88in_build01.jpg

also remember that the offset has a much bigger inpact on a yj with a 19" drivehsaft than an xj with a 33-35" driveshaft...

e-mail ben - he is a good guy to talk to and knows his stuff...
that said, him and i put my 9" under an it had a bigger offset - no issues with that yet...

trailxj said:
the offset isnt really an issue, it gets the driveshaft a little close to the muffler, so if you have a big huge aftermarket muffler it might hit. It does not hit my stock muffler and I have no vibes with the RE hack and tap SYE.

On mine I used MORE perches and JKS shock mounts. the JKS mounts move the shocks up just about flush with the tube. My shocks are a little short, if i hit a bump offroad at speed they can bottom out. But normal driving and crawling I never notice it. I also have BPE's on my rear shocks so that sucks up some more length.

88in_build01.jpg
no offense man, but i REALLY don't like the way you did that brake line. it runs WAY too close to where your bumpstop will hit the axle, and runs into that fitting way too low. that's just begging to get smashed on a rock.then you will have no brakes. ;)

xuv-this said:
no offense man, but i REALLY don't like the way you did that brake line. it runs WAY too close to where your bumpstop will hit the axle, and runs into that fitting way too low. that's just begging to get smashed on a rock.then you will have no brakes. ;)

Perhaps the bumpstop will contact a plate on top of the spring pack?

Dirk Pitt said:
Perhaps the bumpstop will contact a plate on top of the spring pack?

yeah i have the DPG Bump Stop Plates...I also think i rebent that line later to make it a smoother curve....

running the brake lines around the perches, ubolts, shocks, shock mounts, bumpstops is a pain..and will obviously be diffent for every application..

xuv-this said:
and runs into that fitting way too low. that's just begging to get smashed on a rock.then you will have no brakes. ;)

heres a pic showing how low it goes...it doesnt go lower than the tube. You'd have to get yourself in one hell of a bad spot to get hit with a rock there.. Ive never had a problem with it...

88in_build04.jpg

ok. the factory bumpstops are right under the "framerails", so they hit the axle to the inside of the leaf. these "dpg bumpstops" attach to the wheelwells??? yeah, it still looks kinda low though. if you go anywhere in the woods, and a log or branch or loose rock rolls over and catches on it....look at lines on your factory axle. btw you can carry a spare 6" length of line and a couple of ferrules. just tryin' to help ya' out.

Back