• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any special tricks to removing the rubber boot in the door jam?

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 XJ Country w/ power locks and windows. The driver side door lock intermittantly stopped working. I think I've traced the short in the wire down to somewhere in the part of the wires that run through the rubber boot in the door jam.

There is a bunch of wires and they are all tightly taped together making it a real PINA to get at them. Does anyone know what color the wires are for the driver side lock solenoid. Rather than pulling all the wires out, perhaps I will just splice into the existing ones and run new wires through the boot, then splice back in once I'm in the cabin.

Funny the same thing is happening on the passanger side, except it's with the door speaker.

90Pioneer said:
I have a 96 XJ Country w/ power locks and windows. The driver side door lock intermittantly stopped working. I think I've traced the short in the wire down to somewhere in the part of the wires that run through the rubber boot in the door jam.

There is a bunch of wires and they are all tightly taped together making it a real PINA to get at them. Does anyone know what color the wires are for the driver side lock solenoid. Rather than pulling all the wires out, perhaps I will just splice into the existing ones and run new wires through the boot, then splice back in once I'm in the cabin.

Funny the same thing is happening on the passanger side, except it's with the door speaker.
You have broken wires my friend.

Start checking continuity. the flex the wires. I'll bet you lose it.

Yes, that is what I'm trying to fix. I'm wondering what is the best way to get at the wires... ie removing the rubber boot in the door jam

you all ready stated your answer yourself, take off the rubber boot. just pull the thing out, remove your kick panel and i think theres 3 plugs you disconnect and you can pull the harness through the pillar giving yourself more room to fix those wires. why would you think about replacing the whole wire if it just broke? solder that sh*t back together and be done with it.

eric

eric91xj said:
you all ready stated your answer yourself, take off the rubber boot. just pull the thing out, remove your kick panel and i think theres 3 plugs you disconnect and you can pull the harness through the pillar giving yourself more room to fix those wires. why would you think about replacing the whole wire if it just broke? solder that sh*t back together and be done with it.

eric

The rubber boot does not look like it's going to come out easily. I wanted to know if there was a special way of doing it. Perhaps I will just order a new one from the dealer and cut out the old one.

all you to is pull it and it comes out, no special clips or screws or bolts its just a stiff rubber grommet wedged in there, no its not gonna just pop out with the snap of your fingers otherwise it would'nt stay in there for the life of the car, it has to be in there good. by cutting it and ordering a new one your be completely wasting your money cause it'll be just as hard for you to put the new one it as it will be to pull the old one out and put it back in, you'd be saving yourself no trouble whatsoever trust me. just pry the old on out its not a big deal. eric

Back