• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing Rear Speaker Help

Factor

NAXJA Forum User
I'm posting this because I was wondering if any of you knew how to remove the rear speakers and or disconnect the wiring to them from a 87 XJ. I don't want to really cut away at the tailgate or anything of that nature. So if anyone knows any secrets im all ears!

There are 4 screws on the bottom of the hatch that must be romoved then there are push clips up the sides 4 I think and then the whole part picks up straight up thw rear window it is a press in rail

By the way, if you're replacing speakers & looking for better sound quality...
Forget about installing them back in the rear hatch.
I moved mine to the rear doors (5.25" was as big as I could get to fit) and the bass response drastically improved. Tried the same speaks in the hatch at first, but was very unhappy wth the way they sounded. Once I moved them to the doors, it was like I had installed a completely different type of speaker!
You will have to do a bit of sheet metal trimming to get them to fit in the doors though.

Back