• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Limited Slip Front Differential

XJWheelie

NAXJA Forum User
I have a traclock rear differential in my Dana 35 that came from the factory and I'm not going to put any more money into it as I intend to swap it out for a Dana 44 at some point in the future.

As for the front, it's an open dif, Dana 30 that I'm also going to swap out eventually (1-2 year time frame), but I want to put something in it for now. Since it gets used as a daily driver as well as off-road I'm looking for a limited slip. So far I'm considering a Detroit or an Auburn. I'm looking for anyone's opinion that's had first hand experience with either of these two, but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks,
Robert

I honestly dont think its worth to swap in a LSD, they eventully wear out ect... Why not get a Lock-Right? Or a PowerTrax? I have ran those many times in my D30's and they are wonderfull. You dont even know its there when your in 2wd, then you pop it into 4low and your XJ will crawl everywhere.

For daily driver my choice would be either a PowerTrax No-Slip or a TraTech TruTrac.
I ran a TruTrac in the front of my 98 XJ for almost 6 years and ONLY on the toughest obstacles did I have to make more than one try at it.
Recently swapped the TruTrac for a new style ARB since my Jeep is still a daily driver, but does not see daily use.
IF you can afford it..... the selectable locker is the way to go.

Robert,
What t-case do you have and what year is your XJ?

I run a TrueTrac up front because I have a 242 case and like to run it in 4Full a lot, but if I had a 231 I wouldn't run anything but a locker. The TrueTrac does OK until I totally lift a front tire then it does not work much at all.
Cost of a truetrac isn't that much less than a Detroit (within $150 I think) and the Detroit will be much stronger. If you want a temp fix until a new axle go with a No-slip or other lunch box locker.

Bones

BTW: I think I would have made this spot if I would have been locked up front. As it was, I couldn't get the right front to help at all and took a strap from Grant.

HC_CC_B1-vi.jpg

A Truetrac can be nearly locked by braking a little. It causes the gears in it to bind more and locks it up a lot better.
You are looking at spending over $800 unless you can set your gears yourself or are willing to put up with a lunchbox locker. The Auburn and Truetrac require removal of the ring gear and carrier. This really sounds like a waste to me. IMHO save your money for the year and put it into your new axle. Get some of those new Dana 60 outers with the monster U-joints or something.
My .02,
mattk

I thought I asked this already but can't seem to find the post. My question is does all D35's come from the factory with a TracLock or only certain ones? If only Certain ones, I have a 96 XJ Country with 242 Tcase, D30/D35 would that have one in it? Thanks for your help.

96xjeeper said:
I thought I asked this already but can't seem to find the post. My question is does all D35's come from the factory with a TracLock or only certain ones? If only Certain ones, I have a 96 XJ Country with 242 Tcase, D30/D35 would that have one in it? Thanks for your help.

You did ask, and it was answered. Trac-Lok was an option. It could be ordered individually, or it came as part of the Up Country (or previously "off-highway") suspension group. The Up Country suspension group was an option on all models -- it is NOT the same thing as the Country model XJ.

Back