• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Witch shocks?

dana44

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, guys!
I have just completed the install of a Ford 8.8 in the rear of my 1988 Cherokee XJ Laredo 4.0, and found out that I probably should replace my shocks. I will not lift this Cherokee, becouse I have another project under way, so a lift-kit with shocks would not be a possibility for me. I have been wondering if the OME or Rancho shocks would be good candidates, but I know they are made for 2" of lift. Would this be a problem? There are other shocks out there, like Bilstein, Doetsch Tech etc., does anyone have any experience with this shocks? Please help me out with this guys!
Thanks in advance
Arnt H. Andresen
Trondheim, Norway

I have a 88 XJ with no lift. I do go off road but have to travel hundreds of miles to get there. I found the Monroe Reflex work very well on my 88 XJ. I replaced my 3 year old/30,000 mile Monroe-Matic Plus with the Reflex in March of this year, what a night and day difference.

The Reflex have a different valve design. After I installed them I went on my 500 mile trip to my 80 acres of land, then did off road stuff getting to the land - old logging roads, fording creeks, etc.

The shock does good, it makes for a very nice solid ride on the highway. I don't mean harsh I mean a ride that won't beat you up so when you get to your destination 500 miles away you are ready to do stuff instead of go to bed.

Here the Monroe web site, hope you can find the products in Norway http://www.monroe.com/products/mp_default.asp

Rancho 5000 series are VERY harsh. The 9000 are adjustable and can be softened enough to be bearable, but if you don't plan to go off-road there's no reason to pay the extra money for a Rancho 9000. OME will ride very well, but I don't have their specs to compare length with stock XJ shocks.

I second the nomination for Monroe. I haven't tried the Reflex yet -- many years ago I got a set of Monroe Gas Magnum Plus, and they've been doing fine for well over 100,000 miles. Monroe no longer offers a shock by that name, but I believe it's the same as what they now call the Gas-Matic LT. The Reflex should ride even better, but will also cost a bit more. I like a firm (not harsh) ride, and the ones I have are perfect for me.

I'm goin' w/ the Edlebrock IAS shocks-- to be installed soon...

Rancho RSX

I used the Rancho RSX' shocks on mine when stock and loved them. They are the basically same shock as the Monroe Reflex. I was originally planning on Edlebrocks but choose not to as the cost is higher and I have heard several people running them complain of developing leaks in them. Good luck and either way I think you will be happy.

spooky suspension?

Where does one acquire Witch shocks? Is there a Halloween Offroad shop somewheres? I would like some Frankenstein shocks if you are going. My Mummy shocks are shot.

edit: didn't see where the poster was from, sorry.

Last edited:
Back