• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 axle pinion angle help...

Gil BullyKatz

NAXJA Forum User
I have everything ready to swap in my F-150 8.8 under the heep...

I was hoping to mock it all up and bolt everything up in my driveway, including the pinion angle to determine what angle to weld the new perches...

That option is not feasible anymore... I now have to bring the axle to his shop... The rig is on stands in the driveway minus the turdy five...

I have a friend willing to weld up the tubes to the center section and the perches/shock mounts on, but he needs to know how much difference in angle between the pinion and the perches...

Fortunately the 8.8 has that nice flat flange adaptor to stick a magnetic angle finder on...

I'm running about 8"lift (big pack/extended shackles) on 35" tires...

I'm willing to fine tune with shims if need be, but I'd like to at least get close enough to drive it...

My Dana 35 had 6 degree shims and no vibes... but that was with 33"s and about 7" lift...

Basically... If we set the perches flat (180*) what should the angle finder on the pinion angle read?

I'm having some serious math issues with this...

Help?

TIA :D

I have a short attention span tonight so if I missed something just ignore me.

Why don't you set it under there with the perches there and the u-bolts on loose. Then drop the weight on it and measure or mark the location.

I get screwed (not in a good way) every time I use someone else's measurements.

Lincoln said:
I have a short attention span tonight so if I missed something just ignore me.

Why don't you set it under there with the perches there and the u-bolts on loose. Then drop the weight on it and measure or mark the location.

I get screwed (not in a good way) every time I use someone else's measurements.

That's the present plan...

Gonna bolt up the axle w/tires, u bolts, perches up to the packs...

Connect the driveshaft...

Aim the pinion at the t-case flange(double cardan shaft)...

and mark EVERYTHING with a sawblade and grease marker...

Then unbolt everything and haul the axle and perches to get all welded up...

I feel better measuring and marking with everything placed where it should be with all the weight on it...

I dunno why HE wanted me to figure out angles and such...

HE should know better...

You know who HE is...

:D

I wouldn't even worry about the tires just set it on stands. I think it's easier to move the pinion like that also.

Have you thought about just putting it in using chewing gum and driving it to be welded? :D

just measure the perch angle relative to the pinion flange. the no matter what angle of rotation the axle is at the two will be right relative to each other.

Back