• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

removing rear shock bolts

baldwinwb

NAXJA Forum User
I found a little trick to help remove those annoying upper rear shock bolts. Use an impact wrench at about 60 - 80 psi. I did the PB blaster on all of them like I have read in so many treads, but I still broke the first bolt by hand. I decide that if they were all going to break I might as well make quick work of it and pulled out the impact. To my surprise the next three came out without breaking. They still came out hard, but they did not break. I wish I had known this before I snapped the first one, I spent all morning drilling the busted bolt out.

Do you know what kind of torque air powered impact wrenches put out at 60-80 psi? I'm just asking because I'm garage-less and might buy a battery powered impact wrench, but I'm not sure if they have enough power to do any good.

I think I'd be concerned that the fact that the 3 bolts didn't break was coincidental. I unbolted them on mine by hand. Instead of muscling them, I douched them really good with PB, heated the crap outta them with a torch and then actually attempted to tighten them just a C hair before I backed it off less than a quarter turn. I treated them like a tap and found that to work well. Loosening a quarter turn and then tightening a touch then loose again. I'd be scared to go the impact route. Just my rookie .02. Glad you got them off though...they are boogers when they break.

this is a good way to elimnate fighting with them again after you do get them out...

http://www.detoursusa.com/xjstm.php

stm_main.jpg

Actually...that is fairly normal. A bolt is less prone to breakage when hit with many impacts as opposed to the constant twisting pressure. If you have to try to break loose a bolt by hand, you are better off to give it a few quick pulses than trying to muscle it.

Rev

That's interesting Rev...I would have thought that the shock from hittin' it with an impact would cause it to break. Sure would be easier than going back and forth while holdin' my breath.

Back