• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Still running goofy after lots of work. CPS??

ghettocruiser

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all. 94 XJ 4.0 auto. Awhile back I posted about some running problems that I thought I had figured out. Right now, it is idling pretty rough. Really really lopey. And I can hear what sounds like a misfire from the exhaust. But it really just sounds like it has a bigger cam. It runs well for the most part. No smoke, not much if any hesitation. Just last week I replaced the following. Exhaust manifold (due to crack), cat, muffler, plugs, wires, cap/rotor, air filter, O2 sensor, fuel filter, fuel injector o-rings, and did a good cleaning on the intake and throttle body while it was off. And I was careful not to mess up the sensors on the TB which are pretty new.

So I guess I only have a few easy fixes left. could the CPS be making it idle bad? Since I cant mess with the timing... How about the distributor pick up or the distributor itself? Could it need a new MAP after almost a year? Let me know if you come up with any ideas.

Justin

I seem to remember reading somewhere that you should disconnect the battery for a short time to let the computer "reset" itself. Maybe your computer still thinks your engine is running like crud. Maybe not, but worth a shot since it costs nothing.

Good idea BruteXJ. I actually had the battery off for almost a day while changing motor mounts and messing around near the battery. So it should have "reset" in that time. But...I think Im going to try disconnecting it again just for good measure. Probably one of the easiest things I can try right?? Thanks.

Justin

Possibly check your vacuum lines for any leaks or one may have come off. This happened to me this morning on the way to work. Found the vac. line that was off and ran normal again. Mine is a 2.5 carbed inline four so might not be the same but I would check the vac lines just in case. Good luck.

Kim.

You did the injector o-rings? Make certain the injector electrical connectors are 100%. My '89 really holds moisture there and the corrosion acts like a bad plugwire misfire.

You've cleaned the TB area, right? Throw a vacuum gauge on and look for signs of vacuum leak.

Back