• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New (to me) D44

egon

Dunlop Slayer
NAXJA Member
I just picked up a D44 from a '90 XJ from a local bone yard. The axle is in very good condition from what I can tell, I just pulled the cover tonite and the gears look nice. It has about 140K miles on it. I have a few questions on freshing the axle up a bit.

Here's what I figure on doing...
Brake shoes
Outer seals
Outer bearings
Inner bearings
Wheel studs

Am I missing anything? Should I replace the inner bearings, that would be the most involved part.

Now I just have to dig up that D44 rebuild parts sheet.

--Matt

I say go all out on it. Even if you regear, you can reuse all the bearings you just put in. It's not that involved to change those bearings if you get lucky, but you need the right tools..... bearing seperator and puller, and a press. When you change them, it MAY throw backlash off from being new bearings and all, so that may need to be dealt with. Wheel studs SHOULD be fine, but maybe not, clean them up and see if there is any visible damage to them. Brakes, replace EVERYTHING, except maybe the drums. I got lucky and found an XJ 44 with recently redone brakes before it was junked...everything was still shiny, so pretty. _nicko_

i am taking a different route on my D44 overhaul.. i look at the diff kinda like the engine.. unless something makes you suspect a problem, IMHO it isnt worth the $$ to tear it down completely. i am just doing the axle seals and bearings and am going to see how it does.. it's good to replace things as a preventive measure but paying someone (unless you know how) to do all that and have to resett the R&P probably wont be nessecary.. and in the future if end up needing to rebuild the diff so be it... we all eventually get into doing an R&P sooner or later... do it then...
definately new brakes...
unless the studs are F'ed up i wouldnt worry about them...
my .37 cents
mike

I started pulling things apart today and for an axle supposedly 140K miles old, things are in very good shape. The inner bearings may not need to be replaced as there is no noticable play anywhere. Tomorrow I start to gather parts.

--Matt

Replace the seals, and call it done. Hell- if it's not showing leaks, don't even worry about the seals. Just do the brakes if they need it, and call it done.

Agree VERY much with the gent who said not to do anything if it's not indicated.

Back