• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problems w/ IPF X51 Fatboy Bulbs

Shrubs

NAXJA Forum User
Is anyone else running the IPF X51 Fatboy Bulbs?

I bought a set with upgraded housings and harness, and both bulbs (low beams) died within 3 months of installation. They are being replaced under warranty, but 4 Wheel Parts (installed everything) is trying to tell me they will burn out about every 3 months because "these upgraded bulbs can't handle off-road vibrations like OEMs."

Has anyone had problems with these bulbs, did I just get a bad set, and / or is 4 Wheel Parts full of BS?

TIA.

With the Magic-J bulbs, not recently. IPF did have a problem with them a couple of years ago--failling prematurely.

As for your FATBOYS, I don't know, but I would look at it this way....

Do you drive with them on, on the trail ?

Are they actually failling on the trail?

If not, shouldn't the hi-beams be a candicates for failure aswell?

More than likely they are failling from........use ......(and poor design?).

I think your problem stems from 4 wheel parts touching your jeep. Who in their right mind would let them do any work on your jeep. Not to mention something as simple as swaping bulbs.

The installer probally got his greezy hands all over the bulbs when he installed them, or did not seal up the seal on the back with some dialectic grease.

I've been running the same combo for over a year with no problems. I've run highspeed runs through the desert at night (45+mph over woops) and never had an issue with a dead bulb.

Moisture and oil can cause these bulbs to fail, but they are not more prone to failure then any other bulb of the same design.

That's what I thought. I didn't have time to do the install myself, and am probably paying for it now. If the fact that they dropped one of the replacement bulbs on the ground in front of me after almost smashing it with the hood is any indication of the work they did originally, I understand why they are failing. Anyway, it's their and IPF's problem right now. I will be sure to install the new bulbs myself. Thanks for the replies.

You could pick up your jeep from them in the daytime and drive home w/o turning on the lights, then take the bulbs out can clean them with alcohol to get their greasy finger prints off them.

I've had my fatboys right at 3 months --- so far so good. I'll let you know if anything happens to them anytime soon.

Back