• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driveshaft question

Timber

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, I spent about five hours last night struggling with the u-joints in my rear driveshaft. Don't ask. I got everything reassembled, but I put the slip yoke on the wrong end. I did mark the ends in relation to the pinion yoke and the output spline shaft, but I simply flipped it around when putting it back together. I should've used a different color marker for each end, but anyway, it seems to drive fine. I still need to get it up to highway speeds, but otherwise it seems okay. Should I get back under there and flip it? What if it seems fine at highway speeds--leave it?
As a side note to this, will painting it do anything to its balance? I realize that's probably a super-dumb question, but I've never monkeyed around with drivelines before.

I dont think it would matter unless the shaft is balanced differently on the original yoke side. But since there arent any vibs, i think ur cool. As for paint, it wont do anything.

Okay. I just wasn't sure if d.s. balancing was done just for rotational balance, or also to help balance the pinion yoke and t. case output. One end has a much larger weight than the other, and even though they're flipped end for end, they are in the same relative spots as before.

All rotational masses have their own balance spec. so your t-case output and pinion yoke are balanced themselves at manufacture.

A rotational balance will be effective rotating in either direction and since all you're really doing is changing the direction the shaft rotates, you're fine.

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I was really more concerned about screwing up the pinion yoke or t. case output than about vibrations.

Back