• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Holy Springs

zahra2325

NAXJA Forum User
I’ve been noticing that my stock rear leaf springs are almost straight. Then yesterday I put an air conditioner in the back (it was pretty heavy 100 –150 lbs) with a toolbox and some other stuff (total weight approx 200lbs) and when I got home I looked at the springs again a saw that they were slightly curved downward. And they really didn’t come back up after I took everything out. So I measured from the pavement to the stock fender flare:
Right rear just under 30”
Left rear 30”
Right front 32”
Right rear 32”
How bad is this? By the way I will be putting in Rusty’s 2” lift with AAL. Should I have the leaf springs replaced before this?

Measure from the center of the wheel to the lower edge of the flare and report back.

Front should be 17.5"
Rear should be 17"

Above is stock heights non up-country suspension.

Do as Dirk said. Measuring from the pavement isn't accurate because tire size and tire pressure affect the dimensions.

Remember that the XJ has the spring over the axle. It is designed to run with the spring virtually flat. It doesn't sound like you have a problem, but get the correct measurements and post again.

the ideal thing to do would be get a lift kit with full leaf packs instead of the AAL.. just my .02..... hope it all "levels" out in the end...

Get yourself a nice 3 inch lift with new leaf pack and get some 30" or 31" tires. The ride is not bad and makes for a nice looking xj.

Kim.

zahra2325 said:
Right rear just under 30”
Left rear 30”
Right front 32”
Right rear 32”
zahra2325; I took the same measurements last weekend and my numbers were:
29 3/8" at the rear and 30 1/2" at the front (driver side, empty truck)
(tire size 215-75-15, 32 psi, '89 stock), FYI.

-Maz

Back