• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nut Strips and Rear Hitch

oang

NAXJA Forum User
Hi. Having read some of the threads related to hitches:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=51318
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50264
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=47348
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35293

I still have a few questions about nut strips. This is my first post here, so please keep the "newbie" (both posting and mechanically) moniker in mind.

Brief vehicle background:
A 1996 Cherokee Classic that does not have the tow package, nor a metal skid shield. I purchased a rear Hidden Hitch, based on the "it bolts right in" claim and asked my mechanic if he could install it. He said bolting upwards into the frame was not possible because there was nothing to hold the bolt on the inside (I am assuming this means it has "no nut strips." He said bolting downwards could be done but would be time consuming: sticking metal spacers in and fishing the bolts through was not easy because of the closed architecture of the frame bar. Then I searched the threads on here about hitch installs. Not quite "bolts right in" for all vehicles, it seems.

Having read these threads, it seems to me the way to get the hitch installed is to:
(1) figure out do I need/have these nut strips, and
(2) install them if necessary,
(3) install the hitch itself ("bolt-in" by this point)

(1)
I poked my finger through the holes (in the left and right frame bars) that could accomodate them, and I did not feel any threaded parts inside the frame bar. On both sides, just a metal hole. So I assume this means that that I need to purchase both sets of nut strips (left and right)? There is a cross section where the exhaust is bolted up (the red rectangle in the left of the picture) but I don't see how that side of the hitch could be held up only there... seems it would require lengthwise bolts.

Side question: What are all those holes for? I guess some would be used to line up the nut strip threads. Maybe the others are used for a "skid shield?"

The "hidden hitch" did come with hardware (including individual spacers) but it sounds like it is safer to use the nut strips, especially if I plan to tow heavier loads in the future.

(2)
This step is under the belief that I do need nut strips. From previous threads, it sounds like in order for the nut strips to be installed, the bumper must be removed. And it sounds like this is a set of four bolts on each side (total eight) that might need to be sprayed with something to loosen them a little first.

Is it pretty apparent where and how far to stick the nut strip in- that is, is there something like a rail guide that the nut strip will slide into? And Eagle has mentioned to use "anti-seize" on the bolts when putting it back on afterwards.

(3)
I suppose this part is pretty straightforward once nut strips are installed. Bolt upwards into the nut strip threads. But I tend to complicate things:

ghettocruiser mentioned that bolts/washers/lockwashers that are part of the hidden hitch package will work ok (they show the hex bolt as 12mm x 40mm; lock washer is 1/2", and hardened flat washer is 7/16"). Is the bolt and washer enough, or ought I do as Hidden Hitch suggests (in order of going up against the hitch: flat washer, lock washer, hex bolt).

If anybody in the San Francisco bay area (I live north of the bay area, but occasionally travel to south and east) may have an hour or so during some weekend afternoon and would like to show me how to do this someplace (eg: a parking lot) please let me know :)

I'm not mechanically inclined nor at the moment have the means to be (barely any tools, no garage). I don't know what many of the terms in the various threads mean. I realize this might be like going into a bicycle forum and stating that I don't know how to ride a bike. But from the other posts around here, it seems the community doesn't mind folks with a lot less tools/offroad/mechanical/etc. experience. I'm happy to learn, and have got to start somewhere.

I have another question about hitch wiring that I may ask under separate cover.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I hope this can be a forum where I can ask questions no matter how "obvious" the answer might seem to be!

in the north bay?
Im in benicia

come by this weekend - we'll hook you up

PM for details
i put my hitch on with the nutcert/strpi things already on the jeep

the other holes that you see in the frame are for the gas tank skidplate (ill show you mine this weekend)

we can use my garage - tons of room, not a parking lot...

shoot me a private message or an e-mail to [email protected]

Just did this a few months ago on my XJ.

Here is what I know. Use the nut strips as it help spread the stress of towing over the frame so that when you tow it does stretch the bolt holes.

You probably need only the left side nut strip as most XJ's have the rightside already on. The exhaust pipe hanger is bolted to this strip.

If you do this, add the fuel tank skid at the same time. They sandwich on top of one another and bolt into the same holes.

Remove the rear bumper to do this. When you do you will see the slots that the strips go into.

Hope this helps. I am sure others will respond with suggestions too. Welcome to NAXJA.

Mary

I don't know what year they started using the right (passenger) side nut strip as standard equipment to support the rear exhaust hanger. Quick check -- look at where the rubber loop of the exhaust hanger is attached to the frame. If it is bolted, you have a nut strip. If it is riveted, you don't. For the left side, you'll have to buy the strip from a dealer. (Or find it in a junk yard, but I have seen used ones with much of the thread lost to rust, so I don't trust used ones.)

You are correct on removing the bumper. What you remove is the bumper and brackets together, so there are 4 bolts on each side. Look underneath and you can see the ends, near the upper ends of the spring hangers. Spray those liberally with PB Blaster or another good penetrating oil (not WD-40).

Once you have the nut strips in hand and the bumper off, it's easy to see how the nut strip fits. The last (rear-most) hole goes outside the pinch weld where the floor pan and apron join, then there's a "hump" in the nut strip that goes up and over the pinch weld. You can't mess it up without really trying.

The nuts on the nut strip are metric. My recollection is 14mm, but I don't recall the thread pitch. Maybe 14mm x 1.75? The Hidden Hitch comes with a bunch of bolts, and the kit may include some metric bolts intended to work with factory nut strips.

I own an 85 wagoneer with a nut strip on the passenger side for my exhaust. So we at least know that an 85 has it at least. From the factory.

Kim.

I've installed Hidden Hitches on several different vehicles, including my '97 XJ. If you follow the included directions, it is very easy. I used the included support bars with the 1/2" carriage bolts on the driver side and the factory nut strip on the passenger side. My truck has towed, wheeled, been literally beaten to death and the hitch is fine, even been rear ended. Just use the included hardware and follow the instructions.

Everybody,

Thanks for your comments about the hitches and nut strip information. I will order the components tomorrow after a quick peek under the vehicle. I think the bumper fasteners do need some of that penetrating oil... maybe rusted in place? Should I be worried about the components that have some rust on them (ie: trying to take a proactive stance and spray them with some de-rustifier?) I do remember seeing rust on the leaf springs at the very least.

And I will take up XJ_Ranger's kind offer for some time maybe in the next week to get this thing on!

This is a great forum and thanks again for sharing your answers and experiences. And for not starting any responses with "What!? You mean you don't know about..." like some other forums I have tried to ask for help for in the past!!

Eagle said:
I don't know what year they started using the right (passenger) side nut strip as standard equipment to support the rear exhaust hanger. Quick check -- look at where the rubber loop of the exhaust hanger is attached to the frame. If it is bolted, you have a nut strip. If it is riveted, you don't. For the left side, you'll have to buy the strip from a dealer. (Or find it in a junk yard, but I have seen used ones with much of the thread lost to rust, so I don't trust used ones.)

You are correct on removing the bumper. What you remove is the bumper and brackets together, so there are 4 bolts on each side. Look underneath and you can see the ends, near the upper ends of the spring hangers. Spray those liberally with PB Blaster or another good penetrating oil (not WD-40).

Once you have the nut strips in hand and the bumper off, it's easy to see how the nut strip fits. The last (rear-most) hole goes outside the pinch weld where the floor pan and apron join, then there's a "hump" in the nut strip that goes up and over the pinch weld. You can't mess it up without really trying.

The nuts on the nut strip are metric. My recollection is 14mm, but I don't recall the thread pitch. Maybe 14mm x 1.75? The Hidden Hitch comes with a bunch of bolts, and the kit may include some metric bolts intended to work with factory nut strips.

Bolt-Hex Flange M12x100 4 required #34201 964 (from install instructions with tank skid)
Wayne

Wayne Sihler said:
Bolt-Hex Flange M12x100 4 required #34201 964 (from install instructions with tank skid)
Wayne
Cool. But I think the hitch calls for 6 bolts -- three each side.

Sorry for the bad guess at 14mm. There have been too many questions recently about the bolts for the leaf springs. Those are the ones that are 14mm. XJ hitch is 12mm, and (for whatever reason) MJ hitch is 10mm.

see you next week

oh - buy a can of this:
pACE2-1186917reg.jpg

its called PB Blaster and spray the bumper and exhaust hanger bolts with it before you leave this weekend

use it liberaly - dont worry about the 3.00 a can price - its worth it...

-Ranger

Well, this is just a follow-up as to the hitch install.

First of all, MANY thanks to XJ_ranger for assisting (actually, really doing most of the work as I was fairly tool-naive) me with this!

The bumper had four bolts to remove. The bottom two were straightforward, but the two up and on the inside were not pleasant to get deal with (the ratchet is only provided a little bit of back and forth motion).

Then there were two sets of bumper mounts(?) that had four bolts each. They looked rusty, but fortunately, they could be coaxed off without even needing any penetrating fluid. These mounts had to be removed to provide access (a small hole) for the nut strips to slide into. The nut strips initially have to be slightly angled to get one edge in.

It turns out that this Cherokee did not have nut strips on either side (even though it looks like the exhaust hanger is bolted in on the passenger side). Fortunately I had purchased both driver and passenger side nutstrips (I guess not as cheaply as everybody was getting them; from chrysler parts direct at $18.16 apiece and then $10.98 freight - the parts I can understand, but the freight was a little high for something that's not that heavy and took over a week to deliver).

As eagle had mentioned, it's easy to tell how the nut strips align (though XJ_ranger had to point it out to me!) The hitch was jacked up and we used the original Hidden Hitch hardware ( 7/16" flat washer, 1/2" lock washer, 12mm x 40mm hex bolt; 3 sets on each side) to fasten and torque each set to 64 ft/lbs.

Kind of anticlimatic after that. Just replacing the bumper mounts and then the bumper. Putting the top two bumper bolts back on was a little less of a pain than initially pulling them off, but it still took a lot of side-to-side ratcheting. It's pretty flush on the back and is fairly snug to the bottom of the bumper area.

So, many many thanks again to XJ_ranger to working with me on this project. He's a great guy who is really knowledgable, friendly, and (or he hides it well!) patient enough to put up with the dozens of questions I had not only about the hitch, but his vehicle and mechanical questions in general!

What a guy!! That XJ Ranger
Hey, the more you work on stuff with your Jeep and have such gratr resources like NAXJA , the braver you get!!
I am attempting to install a new exhaust manifold! I have pulled my front drive shaft to work on it, put a lift on, installed exhaust....all because of encouragement and the people here on NAXJA. These are things that I would never have attempted a few years ago! Its fun and a great learning experience.
Its funny , while I am working I get frustrated and my wife thinks I am mad and am bothered, but I told her, I LOVE IT!!!
Kinda weird.

Last edited:
Back