• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana30 mix-n-match delima

redsand187

NAXJA Forum User
Well, okay. I currently have a bunch of stuff that I would like to make one decent axle out of.

I have a Non Disco 297 joint axle with 3.55's in it, that is currently sitting under my jeep. I have a Disco 260 joint axles with 4:56's in it, that is sitting on my work bench. And a lockright sitting on my garage floor.

I'm also thinking I want to swap my axles with 4:56's and lockers in my Jeep before the weekend.

So I'm running into this delima, and out of time. I know since I'm already there I should swap the axle shafts. But it seems like it is going to take a lot of time. Does anyone know of a good article on doing this? Also, if any one has done this how long did it take? The seal number that I have found that is supposed to work is the Spicer 42500 that is right too?

The big problem is I really don't know if I want to completely dissassemble the axle that is still under my jeep. Any suggestions?

A suggestion would be to put the locker and one piece shaft in the axle on the bench, if you have a matching reat, and throw thenm under it now, get it over with.

The ideal solution would be to pull the 4.56's out of the disco housing and install the lockright and then install in your non-disco housing... but are you experienced enough to do the gear pattern setup?

I think either way you're kind of in a jam, because you can't just put the non-disco axles into the disconnect housing. It requires some special seals because the disco housing has no seal inside the diff housing on the disconnect side, it's actually at the end of the disconnect motor, which means if you pull all that stuff and put the one piece axle in, all the gear oil is going to come out the passenger side axle tube.

If it were me, I would put the lockright into the carrier and leave it all in the disconnect housing, pull the axle that's in your jeep now, and put the disconnect axle in temporarily at least until you have time and/or funds to swap the gears over. Just use some washers to lock the collar on the disconnect motor in place and call it good. Take spare shafts if you're going wheeling. :)

NotMatt said:
If it were me, I would put the lockright into the carrier and leave it all in the disconnect housing, pull the axle that's in your jeep now, and put the disconnect axle in temporarily at least until you have time and/or funds to swap the gears over. Just use some washers to lock the collar on the disconnect motor in place and call it good. Take spare shafts if you're going wheeling. :)

That was kind of what I was thinking I wanted to do. I've done gear set up before, but it's been a while and it really isn't anything I want to tackle THIS week. :)

Back