• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacing valve cover gasket?

JMH

NAXJA Forum User
Getting ready to the ccv upgrade from madxj's site 93xj to 2000 xj ccv hose, picked up most of the parts but having to order the valve the screws into the manifold. Checked while i was there on a gasket for my 93 and was told it was one made to the cover. Now i see at advance and autozone i can buy a gasket to replace the old one with. But wanted to know everyone's opinion on if i should use any RTV and or what type everyone has had the best success with . Doing this work cause i have a oil leak in the air filter box , but also having way to much come out the like the rear main seal. Which is on the list after this . Just fingured i would knock out the easyer of the two first.

Thanks the info i have read on the site and for any replys that i get . I'd be lsot with out the site

If you have a gasket for it don't use any rtv, a little bit of Indian Head gasket cement would be OK though. If you have the choice in gaskets get the neophrene one instead of the cork.
When you pull your old cover off have a shop vac handy to suck up the pieces of sludge that are going to break free. You can also use a plastic scraper to free up any other sludge thats in there but keep the shop vac at the working end of the scraper so you get any pieces that break off..

OEM valve covers come with the gasket cast/formed/whatever in, but the aftermarket gasket works just fine (and you don't have to replace the cover.) You do have to watch out you don't crush the gasket - torque on the bolts is something like 10 pound-feet or less (I'd have to check.)

I use cork gaskets, and a little RTV won't go amiss - preferably LocTite #518 Gasket Eliminator, if you can find it.

I also find it helpful to get a Small-Block Chevvy stud kit for "cast" valve covers, since they are the right thread and length to work for us as well. Install 4-6 of them spaced well around the cover, and they'll help things stay in place when you reach for the rest of the bolts. It is possible to stud the entire cover, but not really necessary.

Clean well, and DO NOT OVERTORQUE THE DAMN BOLTS! I wrecked a couple gaskets myself before I figured that out...

5-90

Back