• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Johnny Joint squeak

bgcntry72

NAXJA Forum User
I recently acquired a set of Currie LCA's set for a 4" lift. I put them in only to discover that they were not greased. I should have checked but my 'pal' told me they were ready to roll. I put them on 15 minutes before I ran pipeline. They worked great, but they squeak something fierce. They have no zerks, so I am to assume I need to remove them, pull the snap rings, etc. Is there a certain grease to use? Any help from someone experienced in Johnny Joints would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Any grease will be fine.Since theyre such a pain to rebuild make sure you install some zerks while you got them apart!

You can get grease bolts from Currie. You can also do what I call "Bench Greasing" without taking them apart.

First you need to get one of the grease bolts. With the arm off the jeep reinstall the bolt using the washers and the nut. Clamp this whole thing in a vise by just clamping the nut. Have a freind take the grease gun and start pumping grease while you turn the arm around in ALL directions on movement. This is the best way to grease it, better than taking it apart. If the bolt doen't fit the hole correctly and the grease doesn't flow well, sand the edge of the bolt to make room for the grease to flow into the ball's hole. I like to use blue wheel bearing grease. It is a little more water proof than all the others. I use Stay lube.

Good luck.

mark
orgs mfg

The grease bolts "will not" work w/ JJ's.The spherical bearing "is not" drilled for grease to flow!

RCP Phx said:
The grease bolts "will not" work w/ JJ's.The spherical bearing "is not" drilled for grease to flow!

What?

We are talking Currie Johnny Joints aren't we? (Like the first post says)

mark
orgs mfg

Mine are drilled.
No doubt about it.

If the new stuff is thats a plus!My freind had a set of his early arms and they were not drilled.

RCP Phx said:
If the new stuff is thats a plus!My freind had a set of his early arms and they were not drilled.

I worked with John a lot while these JJ were being developed. I tested the first sets with John on my 90 XJ. There were very few ever made that way, without cross drill. Your buddy must of gotten one of the VERY first sets if not a prototype set from somebody. Tell him he can just drill his and use grease bolts, they work much better at greasing the JJ than a zert in the barrel. But the JJ have been coming with cross drill holes from close if not all the production sets.

Try the bench greasing it also really works at getting them greased.

mark
orgs mfg

Appreciated. Sorry but I have never heard of a grease bolt. Where do I get one? What size do I buy? I got these arms from a friend of mine, no grease bolts. I love the arms but after the second time out they started squeaking badly. Any information would help. Thanks.

Thanks alot. I'm sure I'll be back during the process for more advice. In the meantime, are they that much of a PIA to take apart and grease? Or is the bolt the best way?

I just read it again.
Thanks alot Mark.
New information often confuses me.
I have the brainpan of a stagecoach tilter.
Hasta.

Back