• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flowmaster Question/Opinions?

over2land

NAXJA Member #1171
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I'm interested in a flowmaster muffler for my 88 MJ.

I'll prolly replace the exhaust from the donut on the header out... but I digress.

I am not looking into the particularly for it's exhaust note, or for the freer flow of the muffler. The flow thing is cool, but the exhaust note is my issue.

I've used flowmasters in the past, and in every case have been impressed with their ability to take a beating. That's why I want one for my Comanche.

However, I've had a few instances where they were just too loud. And, with this Comanche seeing daily driver duties, I don't want the exhaust noise to wear me out.

So, what is the quietest Flowmaster? From their description of the series, I seem to recall thinking they were on crack a few times, as my experiances weren't what they were claiming.

And, since that could definately be a vehicle/exhaust routing and exit issue, I put it here. Who's running a flowmaster on their XJ/MJ, which one, how do you like it, and have you tried other series (30,40,50 etc)?

Thanks

i've got the super 40 on my xj. its not to loud while at speed but has a nice tone off the line and at idle. i'd get another one.

get an IMCO... their new to the market, and the local muffler shop said "try it, if you dont like it, i'll swap it for a flowmaster free"

i LOVE it... looks identical but you have that TONE at 65mph on the freeway!.... man i love my IMCO muffler....

JOe

i have a 40 series and it's not loud to me but it might be for some i guess.go with the 50 that is the quite one that i know of.

Get the 50 series suv if your worried about sound.
The part numbers are
2.25"=52457
2.50"=52557

The thing I like about the truck is it's quiet. Compared to the open top YJ, or M715, it's nice to have a peaceful, quiet ride. I don't want to ruin that with the muffler or exhaust noise.

I have a buddy with a flowmaster on his 4.0 powered YJ, and can hear him coming from a mile away. It's just too loud. But, he doesn't know what series it is. I know I don't want my truck sounding like that.

IMCO, huh?

Anyone have a 50?

thanks, btw.

Imco huh?

its a new brand... and i know people dont like change... but if your muffler shop has them, their AWESOME... side by side you cant tell a differece but man i like it so much better on the freeway..

JOe

I have a 50 series Delta-Flow on my XJ, and a 40 series Delta-Flow on my MJ. Go with the 50 series, its quieter. I noticed performance gains with the install of both mufflers, but the MJ sounds like it has a small block now at idle, instead of the 4.0L. With the cap on the MJ, the muffler drones a bit at highway speeds. I used to drive my MJ every day, before I swapped the 40 series in. I don't drive it everyday anymore, but if I did I think it would get on my nerves. It also helps to mount it as close to under the bed as you can.

HTH's
Andy

have the series 40 under my 2000, i love it, sounds sweet
Maier

over2land said:
Good comparo, thanks Andy.

Most of us run 40's. Why is that?

Going for the sound, or someone suggested it, or what?
Sound. But i'm soon replacing it with the 30 series

over2land said:
Anyone have a 50?

I have a 50 series deltaflow with a magnaflow highflow cat and 2.5" pipe all the way back after the down pipe to the exhaust that exits under the rear bumper. You can definitely hear it, but its not obnoxious or waking up the neighbors or anything. The only time its loud is in parking garages, but its not setting off car alarms or anything. I think part of the reason its kinda loud is becuase of the high flow cat and 2.5" pipe. I've gotten used to it now so i dont really notice it anymore. I think it sounds great, but if you want a flowmaster and you want it to be quiet, then go with the SUV series. I've also hear of people running the 70 series on their 4.0s but they are huge and I think the smallest you can get is 2.5"

Btw, I've layed my Jeep down on my exhaust before and flowmaster took it without even a dent. :D

hey hotlanta-

is the 70 quieter still than the 50?

The muffler I have in the truck now is huge too, and if I were to run 2.5" pipe anyway, then the 70 might work for me.

yeah, no dents is good.

Its my understanding that they are, but I've never compared the two. Its my understanding that its the biggest muffler they make, its for big blocks. I've just heard a couple times that they sound decent on 4.0ls if you dont want it loud at all.

I've got a 70 behind my 4.0 and 2.5" pipes. It's a huge muffler, but the sound is nice and deep. Much quieter than the lower numbers as mentioned above.

Like other FM's, it will take a massive beating.

Back