• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 cooler line upgrade

cuoxj

NAXJA Forum User
I am planning on having a set of braided ss cooler lines made by alcal hydraulics shop. I need to know what size and style the threads are that go into the tranny. The idea is to get rid of hose barb connections that always seem to weep some fluid, and have 2 long hoses from tranny to cooler(ford style). Any thoughts or suggestions

I havent really had any trouble with the fittings leaking, even with removing them several times to swap trannys, install temp guage sensor ect. Sounds stupid but I bet the stock lines release more heat than a set of braided lines. Cool idea but personally I would buy a connection rebuild kit for $30 and be done with it.

As I recall, the threads are M14x1.5 with an o-ring under the head. Adapters are available in aluminum to convert to -6AN from Russell, and I'm working on a G-code programme to turn them out in brass at school (I don't have anything against aluminum, but I prefer something a little more solid for sheer reliability. Weight isn't that much of an issue for us - four ounces vice two is negligible.)

You'll probably have a hard time getting ends in that metric thread, but you can get them in -6AN all day long (and the hoses are 3/8" ID anyhow, which corresponds.)

Check the Russell catalogue for the adapters - I'm sure they're 14m/m, and there's only one thread pitch listed (which agrees with whatever I measured yonks ago.)

For the forward ends, the fittings are a little strange. If I were going in your direction, I'd just get an external cooler with 3/8"NPT and adapters or just a -6AN fitting pair and go that route.

5-90

Back