• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need a quick answer-stereo wiring

white99z

NAXJA Forum User
Is there a preexisting hole somewhere in the firewall in an XJ that I can run my amp wire through or do I just need to go ahead and drill one? I would prefer to use a hole that is already in there if there is one with enough room to run the wire. It is a 1990 XJ. I am working on wiring speakers and subs right now so a quick answer is greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!!!

the Hood release cable has room to add another wire for your amp... i ran mine through there and it worked out very well...

JOe

OK thanks. I just got back in from wiring some speakers in and all I can say is damn. The XJ has no room in the dash whatsoever to run wires. Its so crammed in there. I had trouble fitting my cd player wiring harness in there when I wired that in before and trying to get speaker wires down to where I could reach them was a pain.

Be careful that you solidly mount the CD player. The CD player may break the little clasp on the climate control wring harness. If so you are off to the junk yard to find another one. The whole wring harness is worth 1,500 new.. Paid $20 at junk yard which was 70 miles away...

KingOfTheHill said:
the Hood release cable has room to add another wire for your amp... i ran mine through there and it worked out very well...

JOe

This will only work if you are using 8 gauge or smaller and if you have pleanty of wire because the battery is on the other side. I am running 0/1 and need ed to drill a hole in the passenger floor board above the frame rail. Also if you are using RCA cables for the amp input you will need to run them out next to the radio and air controls under the dash cover. You have to do this because of the glove box placement there is no way to run it from the radio behind the dash onto the passenger side.

I have a big hole in the firewall on the pass side it has a big rubber plug that you can drill through or take out. The hole is just a little left and behind the block

clean96XJ said:
Be careful that you solidly mount the CD player. The CD player may break the little clasp on the climate control wring harness. If so you are off to the junk yard to find another one. The whole wring harness is worth 1,500 new.. Paid $20 at junk yard which was 70 miles away...

I am bumping this post because I just reread through my old post and saw that you had written this. For a little while I had my CD Player just sitting in the dash. I wish I would have remembered this because now my climate control switches do not work. At first I thought it was a blower motor so I replaced it back in the winter. Now I am wondering what this clasp is that you were talking about because I bet it is the reason my heater doesnt work. Does anyone think this could be it? I dont have my jeep and wont have it for another week or so because I am getting all of the rust repaired so I cannot look and see. I am trying to get my jeep in good operating condition and fixing my climate control system is next on my list. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Back