• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New XJ owner, what to look for

Bobbo

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone!
I am the proud new owner of a 98 cherokee sport. It has a automatic ,4.0 I am guessing a NP231. This thing has 230,000 on it and I would like to know what kind of problems to look out for. This is going to be a daily driver for a couple years, then I intend to start building it for off-road use. (right now I have a 78 cherokee for that) I am not new to jeeps, just XJs. My main love is FSJs, but I really like this little rig I picked up and would like to keep her around for years to come so if anyone can help me I would be gracious.
Thanks !

Wow, 230,000 miles! Looks like my 98 is just getting started with 105,000 miles. Did you get any service records with that? With that many miles, who knows what has already been replaced once or twice. Some things to check are wheel bearings, u-joints, and all the fluids. Some service shops will give you a thourough inspection for free, and that'll tell you what you might need to replace.

Good luck with the new XJ!

Well, I had my guys check it out. ( I work at a repair shop) They gave it a clean bill of health except the sway arm bushings.
I later inspected it because of a clunk when shifting under full throttle, and to my surprise I found a bad motor mount!
I was guessing the trans was shot! Do these go out often?
What trans should I have (auto with 4.0 engine) Is it a good trans?
I also have a chrysler rear end. Is that better or worse than the dana ?

In the ones i've had the engine died first. it is the ansin aw4 made by toyota. and yes the chrysler rear as way better than the dana 35.

Check the HB (harmonic balancer - front pulley) they get weird, wobble and come apart in the old ones. Motor mounts are a given to be changed at that mileage. Do the tranny mount while you're at it. If original radiator, it will probably need replacement too. Scale/crud reduces cooling capacity. Clean TB (throttle body) & IAC (idle air control) stepper motor. Qualify CCV system to perfection. Clean sensor connections and make certain your engine ground strap is solid. Engine and AW4 is the best for long-life. No worries there with good maintenance!

Back