• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FRAM Oil Filters

Alienspecimen

NAXJA Forum User
I use Mobil1 oil filters, but for the last oil change did not get a chance to buy it on time and stuck in FRAM Extended Guard instead. What a mistake. It is not even as half as good as they claim on the box and is not even a tenth as good as the Mobil1, despite being priced similarly. Don't waiste your money on it.
Boris

Alienspecimen said:
I use Mobil1 oil filters, but for the last oil change did not get a chance to buy it on time and stuck in FRAM Extended Guard instead. What a mistake. It is not even as half as good as they claim on the box and is not even a tenth as good as the Mobil1, despite being priced similarly. Don't waiste your money on it.
Boris

Agreed. I don't know why they are so popular. Purolator I believe are also a good filter and half the price of fram. I was at pepboys once and another customer asked if the purolators were good and they said buy fram instead. What a joke, if you don't believe me cut a fram open and compare to Purolator, Wix (also made by fram), hastings, napa or mobil.

Oh yeah, and buy oil in bulk somewhere you can get a case of it or a case of gallon sizes (even better) and filters all at once when you find a coupon for them in the paper. While your there buying your years supply, get fuel and the other neglected filters. Maintenance is much more conveinent when everything was bought once cheaply and I have it all here at home.

Last edited:
Alienspecimen said:
Boris

So what scienctific method did you use to determine this?

I guess the two frams that blew off were flukes as well as the other two that stuck their sealing rings on the oil filter boss.... :laugh3: And I was really impressed with the high quality carboard they use in them.... :)

isn't that like 1000th post about fram filters? why dont you try that button up there that says "SEARCH"????

RichP said:
I guess the two frams that blew off were flukes as well as the other two that stuck their sealing rings on the oil filter boss.... :laugh3: And I was really impressed with the high quality carboard they use in them.... :)

I have no response, other than to say I have never had a problem with them. Then again, I have never had problems with:

MM Hydro winch
Rusty
Tomken
regular oil
Aero tanks
ARB
Borla
Flowmaster

Im special :D

Rev

RichP said:

I like the toilet paper in the purolator filters myself.... 2 filters blew off? and 2 stuck on....maybe its time to learn how to install them, ya think?

thooogy said:
Yeah, I also use Fram without any problems. I also buy stuff from Rusty's, Rocky Road Outfitters, and (gasp!) Quadratech.

Me too, till two of the frams blew off about a year apart and two of the O rings seperated from the can and stuck to the boss [my fault for not seeing that] luckily my 6yo daughter caught the first one when she said the motor was spraying stuff out.... We do use fram air filters in the TJ's because they have a nice foam element as a pre-filter attached to the paper. That foam does need to be cleaned out every month with a few quick thumps and a shop vac.

I remember reading an article that I found searching here that a gentleman did his own research on 20 different oil filters for a 5.0 ford engine. He cut them open, tested them on his engine, and compared all together and the results for fram were not so good. I personally use baldwin filters now and have gained 10 more pounds of oil pressure. Try to search for this article because it has an extremely high amount of information on alot of popular oil filters. Any questions let me know.

Kim.

Thats the mini mopar study, he cut up alot of filters and would even do it if you sent him yours :D :D :D

Someone stated above that wix were made by Fram.. Lets not go there because Wix is a Dana product made in Gastonia NC and is all about quality perhaps the best filter out there..

85xjwoody said:
I remember reading an article that I found searching here that a gentleman did his own research on 20 different oil filters for a 5.0 ford engine. He cut them open, tested them on his engine, and compared all together and the results for fram were not so good. I personally use baldwin filters now and have gained 10 more pounds of oil pressure. Try to search for this article because it has an extremely high amount of information on alot of popular oil filters. Any questions let me know.
Kim.

higher pressure at the filter = less pressure at the bearings.

xjnation said:
So what scienctific method did you use to determine this?
My eye. I use Mobil1 in both cars and change it every 6K. With the Mobil1 oil filter at the time of change the oil looks darkened, but you can still see through clearly. When I used the FRAM, at 3.5K the oil looked like the stuff you pour over the driveways.

xjnation said:
X2 not a good thing...It means the oil is backing up at the filter and not lubing the engine correctly

Have that boy stay after class. :lecture:

Full flow systems are gauged AFTER the filter. Poor flow through the filter will cause the pressure to drop, not rise, until the backup is severe enough to open the bypass. More pressure at the gauge means more pressure going through the filter.

That said, it's true that you can have too much of a good thing. Putting heavy oil in to get pressure up may result in less flow, thus less cooling of bearings. You're probably best off using the lightest oil you can trust to maintain adequate pressure. But assuming the same oil, the filter that delivers the best pressure is delivering the most flow too.

I guess I should apologize to the forum as I thought I am being helpful. I just wanted to report my findings and not start a discussion. I know about the FRAM bashings in the past, but my report was on the FRAM EXTENDED GUARD specifically, which lasts 7500 mi (according to the box).

Back