• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM Muffler

bustednutz

NAXJA Forum User
I have been shopping around for an OEM muffler. They are all around $50.00.
Anyone know of a discount place online that may be cheaper? If not I'll just spend the 50 bucks for it.
98 cherokee. 4.0L.
I have a flowmaster 50 series deltaflow on it right now thats about 6 months old. Tired of it. So I want to go back to stock.

$20! Do you work there? Seriously though, I would recommend a Dynomax super turbo muffler. It seems have minimal resistance to the exhaust but it doesn't have a loud hollow sound like the flowmasters. The sound is just a little louder than stock, has a nice idle purr and but doesn't bother anybody and not loud at freeway speeds. Under acceleration it has a deep growl I like, similar to a stock sportscar. Also comes with a stainess tip. I got it up for $90 bucks new, cheap unless you'd rather go stock. Personally I hated my stock exhaust.

I paid $20 for a cherry bomb super turbo at Autozone.

Thankyou for writing this. I have a new oem muffler sitting in my garage ready for install after I rip out my cat and Rusty's cat back. I'm tired of having to yell to people in the Jeep just to be heard. Mine came from NAPA for 44.00 if I recall.

Well thats just it, I am sick of the growl. I think its cool about 10% of the time. But other then that, I can't hear the wife, I can't hear the kid.
Wait a minute, maybe I will keep it on there.
Seriously, I think the novelty of it has worn off. I'm gonna keep the tail pipe with the chrome tip, but just take off the flowmaster.
Comancheon33 I already have a friend lined up to take the flowmaster.
Sorry that its already spoken for.

My local Auto Zone sells the OEM replacement, with lifetime guarantee, for about $20 -- and that's the normal price, not for employees. They also have a turbo muffler for about the same price, but I think that only has a 1-year warranty.

Autozone around here has a cheapie muffler listed for like 15.99. A muffler is a muffler IMHO. the 4.0 responds so slghtly to exhaust mods, that it's not really worth it for anything else. Plus, my mufflers last about 2 rides, before they are mangled. I've been running a straight pipe off fo the cat on my 2.8 for about a year now.....sounds quieter than most cars out there. go figure.

My $.02- I run the Flowmaster Super 40 with 2.25" tailpipe (99 with 4.0, 62mm T/B,spacer). I was a bit apprehensive when I first installed it but it actually doesn't sound too much different than stock muffler, until you get in the throttle. Maybe 20 years of working on F-14 Tomcats (NAVY) has numbed my hearing?!

I went with a 2" exhaust front to back with a cherry bomb from Fleet Farm for 15.95. The entire exhaust cost me 90.00 and I put it on myself to save on labor costs. This is on a 2.5 inline four cylinder with under 95,000 on it running strong.

Back