• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axles

BLUECHEROKEE744

NAXJA Forum User
i don't know much about things that i would need for my 1998 cherokee. i was wondering if anyone could give me a list of the things i would need to get a dana 44. i have a 4.5 rubicon express lift package, w/ 32x10.50R15, evenutally i'm gonna get 33's though. it would be a big help if someone could help me out on this topic. thanks

A list of things?

Pretty short list -- you need an XJ Dana 44 rear axle. It's a direct replacement for your stock axle, so unless the Dana 44 needs rebuilding (which is always a good idea -- new bearings and seals) or different gearing to match your front axle, it's a direct bolt-in conversion.

An XJ44 will bolt right in,a MJ44 requires relocating the spring perches and adding shock mounts.Both are getting harder to find and more expensive.You didnt say anything about your wheeling needs?The 29spline/8.25 is a good axle and will gear to 4.56(perfect for 33's),you can even do a bolt-on disc conversion(I gave up on my D44 disc's and kept the HD drum package).

so if i wanted a front and rear dana 44 all i would have to do is buy the axles and the new gears which i have got to do anyway, and if i wanted i could by new seals and bearing?

If you want a D44 front your talking a whole new ball game,do a search for "full-width".Lots of fabbing required for that!

The XJ was never sold in the U.S. or Canada with a Dana 44 front axle. If you want a front Dana 44 you'll have to pay big $$$ to have it custom built.

BLUECHEROKEE744 said:
the main reason i want a bigger, stronger axle is bc i wanted to put wheel spacers on and i dont want too much stress on my stock axles. i have 15x10 rims.

Wait a sec here... why do you want wheel spacers? Wheel spacers wont be any more detrimental to a stock axle than a D44. Wheel spacers in general are frowned upon and though of as a last option.

Some things to consider:
1) Do you wheel, i mean REALLY wheel? If not, your just throwing your money away by getting D44's
2) To get axle's that you just "buy and bolt up" you are talking in the neighborhood of $3000 for the pair. Not exactly cheap.
3) If you want wheel spacers to get your tires to stick out further, just go buy rims with less backspacing... there are only a handful of reasons to justify the use of wheel spacers.

Back