• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Funny tire wear- MTR's

ChuckstrPT

NAXJA Member #791
Ok, got a question for you tire/suspension guru's....or just anyone who's been through this before!
'01 stock suspension with RS9000 shocks in good working order, JKS LCA's. Stock steering etc. with 85k on it. Tires- 255/70/16's (30x10.0) on factory 16x7 wheels, generally running 30-31 lbs with what appears to be a reasonable contact patch. These tires have seen mostly street driving, maybe 6 months old. They are not babied. They see high side loads, as well as high braking and accelleration loads.
The outer most tread blocks don't seem to be wearing evenly. The front of the block appears taller than the rear, and the outer block does not appear to be the same height as the next block in towards the center of the tread?
Not sure of the health of my ball joints....I've shaken the wheel, jacked up, and don't feel any perceptable give to it. Could this just be an alignment issue? Also, not sure of the health of my sealed unit bearings.....like to be able to service those buggers!
Thanks for any input!

jeepbme said:
There BADYEARS ...what do you expect. Broken belt prob
You're wrong.

Chuck,
Check your BJs and alignment.
Cupping is (usually) indicative of a suspension malady.

Most frequent causes of tire cupping are alignment and out of balance, then infrequent tire rotation and worn suspension components. If you wheel it it's very easy to knock wheel weights off and even to spin the tire on the rim while aired down, putting the tire out of balance.

Align it.
Balance and rotate the tires.

Do you balance and rotate them regularly? I've heard alot about MTRs wearing unevenly really easily if you don't keep up on that stuff. I would do that, if you haven't already, and then go from there as far as worrying about having to replace front end parts or whatever.

my trxus did that and it was the shitty RS5000 shocks.

Yup,
I've got a lifetime balance and rotation (Firestone store) and do rotate and balance with oil changes.
Took it in this AM for Alignment (lifetime!) and balance/rotate. The "Pro's" at Firestone concur, most likely alignment. I've owned it for 1.5 years, tires are nearly 1 year old, and I've never aligned it. Was going to after the new tires, and apparently it got away from me! Done. I'll let you know if there are any further funny wear patterns! So far, with mostly street, and very little trail (still working on the trailworthiness/build) I've been very happy with the Goodyears........
Thanks for the input! :wave:

One thing to keep in mind is the nondisconect front axle on Jeeps will wear the front tires edge faster if a lot of tight turns are being made. It's just the nature of the best. Also the same goes even faster on the full time 4X4 Jeeps. That why it so inportant to keep up on the rotation with them, but I'm shure you already knew that.

scoobyxj said:
Also the same goes even faster on the full time 4X4 Jeeps. That why it so inportant to keep up on the rotation with them, but I'm shure you already knew that.
yeh, I've got a 242.....and Don't be so sure I know Anything! :sunshine:
Thanks!

The MTR's on my wifes TJ were doing the same thing(cupping). went from 32lbs to 26lbs, problem solved.

Geepfreak said:
The MTR's on my wifes TJ were doing the same thing(cupping). went from 32lbs to 26lbs, problem solved.
I may need to experiment with changing the pressure. I'm not thinking I need 32# for the street.
Thanks for the input!

Back