• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What kind of Glue

Yah - I've used 3M #77 in body shops for headliners on boards, and it works well.

If you are worried, get some brass tacks or something like that, and press them thru. Bend the tips over behind the board to retain them, and you've got cheap insurance and decorative trim. You could even do patterns if you want - or just choose them in a colour that complements your headliner and go that way - I'm thinking about doing something similar on the headliners I've got to do around here (three or four...)

5-90

3M it is....

Used it on a headliner in an 85' calviler station wagon, worked like a dream.

That was my first ride, it was a chick magnet.

I dont know about regluing the stock headliner, it usually separates from the foam backing when it comes down. You have to brush that off to get anything to stick. go here for instructions:

http://www.headlinerkit.com/j.shtml

I just did mine today, havent put the headliner back in yet, but the 3m stuff worked great, took one can, a guy could use two cans, but the bond i got using the heavy spray setting seemed to work great, still have a little left over, may do my visors yet.

It doesnt look like much when sprayed on, but grabs ahold once you put both sprayed surfaces together. Looks like spiderman web coming out....he he. I used some digital camoflauge material from walmart as my replacement. Got enough to do a 3 to 4 inch wrap over to the backside. had two pieces cut to 5', was about 42" or so wide material. So far so good, see how it looks in the morning when the humidity gets to it. Im happy with the outcome so far.

The local upholstry shop guy was tryin to murder me with his foam backed headliner material...wanted about $40 for the 4' x 6' piece and said i would have to stretch it a bit for a good fit...I havent done this before and didnt want to mess it up, so i went for the cheaper regular material, kind of canvas like, not sure what it is made of though.

Will post up pics with it on the ground and installed at a later date, probably put it back in next thursday when i get some more time.

Oh, my 87 plain jane Cherokee doesnt have any extra wiring for a rear dome light or anything else, at least that i could see, any pointers on where it might be stuffed, if it is?

Cory

Last edited:
Well I got the head liner out, finished pulling the liner off. Took a brush to the head liner. Washed the liner, dryed the liner. Laided the liner to be glued down. And well it looked ok, but I sent a friend to get a gray sheet from the store. Two hours later and 4 stores later I called it off. I think I'll go and pick it out my self. My interor is gray, and I was thinking of chooseing a lighter shade of gray. When I was cleaning the plastic off, I noticed my rug was damp. So I pulled it out to let dry and also to see over the next two days where the water is coming from. It turned out to be a long day buy I want to do it right!!! I did get a chance to used a little of the 3m #77 it works great.

See ya

Back