• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dual Oil Filters- Any real life benefit?

NHxj4x4

NAXJA Member #1132
I'm ordering a oil filter relocation kit, is there any true benefit to the dual kit, or should I just stay single.

Thanks!

Todd

there is an advantage to having two filters. well i take that back there are many advantages to having two filters. in the marine world you will very rarly see one filter (on fuel anyway) one advantage is more oil in the system=cooler operating. also you can run one large micron filter first then a very fine filter after that to realy get everythign out of the system. there are other advantages that others will prob chime in on but there are also some disadvantages first and formost is where the hell are ya gonna mount two filters in the already cramped xj hood compartment second (and this is not fact just my oppinion) is with two filters the pump will have more of a workout pushing thru two filters rather than two. and last is you will be spending more on oil changes (more oil/ 1 extra filter every change)

Soooo my conclusion is that you don't realy need an extra and would prob benifit from more space in the engine compartment. but if you had say a detroit v71 it may be a good idea.

bj-666 said:
there is an advantage to having two filters. well i take that back there are many advantages to having two filters. in the marine world you will very rarly see one filter (on fuel anyway) one advantage is more oil in the system=cooler operating. also you can run one large micron filter first then a very fine filter after that to realy get everythign out of the system.

You are very correct about the advantage of the greater oil capacity. Heck if you are running two standard Ford FL1A style filters, that adds just about a quart and a half of oil to you total capacity. You could push even cheap dino oil out to 5k or more with that set up.

Dual oil filter systems are typically in parallel, not series so the progressive filtering theory is not valid.

The main thing that I dislike about remote and dual filtering systems is the exponentially higher chance of having an oil leak when adding the hoses and adapters. I run a high quality 1 quart filter on my XJ with Mobil 1 and call it good myself.

The benefit is the extra quart or so capacity at the risk of leaks or other failures. If I was going to the trouble of a remote fluid filter, I'd add a cooler too.

Space under the XJ/MJ hood is at a premium anyways :dunno:

I have my remote AW4 filter on the LF fenderwall in the space where the factory renix airbox sat. Assuming a relocated battery, I could see one or a pair of filters there being convenient. PS on the left, Engine & Trans on the right.

There are two different oil filters that will fit the 4.0. The ph8a and the ph16. One is almost 2x bigger. You can switch without any clearance issues since one is longer than the other. I have the dual remote mount and run the two smaller ones. Two of the 8a's almost hold a quart between the two of them!

With the dual oil filters and a remote oil cooler/plumbing I have about 7.5 quarts in my motor. Dip stick still reads right. I just rebuilt to a stroker and after the break-in I change about every 5500 with synthetic. Seem like a lot? It costs a lot thats for sure! Would I do it again? Sure, the remote mount makes changing filters a snap, I mounted them to the underside of the hood right in front of the brake booster. They hang down so very little mess and they don't drain overnight. I also went with the magnetic strap you slide onto the filter, never cut one open though... I'll post pic if anybodys interested.

The only con I can think to mention is that warmup times are longer with dualies/cooler. I am looking for some type of bypass oil tstat to cure this.

if you're relocating anyway then get the duece. more oil is a benefit, but the biggest benefits are twice the flow handling capacity and twice the filter material surface area. That means less restriction, less chance of clogging, and higher pressure and flow at EVERY lube point the oil system serves.

INI SLDR said:
There are two different oil filters that will fit the 4.0. The ph8a and the ph16. One is almost 2x bigger. You can switch without any clearance issues since one is longer than the other. I have the dual remote mount and run the two smaller ones. Two of the 8a's almost hold a quart between the two of them!

With the dual oil filters and a remote oil cooler/plumbing I have about 7.5 quarts in my motor. Dip stick still reads right. I just rebuilt to a stroker and after the break-in I change about every 5500 with synthetic. Seem like a lot? It costs a lot thats for sure! Would I do it again? Sure, the remote mount makes changing filters a snap, I mounted them to the underside of the hood right in front of the brake booster. They hang down so very little mess and they don't drain overnight. I also went with the magnetic strap you slide onto the filter, never cut one open though... I'll post pic if anybodys interested.

The only con I can think to mention is that warmup times are longer with dualies/cooler. I am looking for some type of bypass oil tstat to cure this.

Please post pics man, I never thought of attaching them to the hood, but that is a borderline brillant idea, and I'd really like to see it

Thanks!

Todd

Roll-over said:
the biggest benefits are twice the flow handling capacity and twice the filter material surface area. That means less restriction, less chance of clogging, and higher pressure and flow at EVERY lube point the oil system serves.
x2. I completely agree!
But where do you put them? I could barely find a place to put my one relocated filter.

534e44

534g3r

534gsg

I tried to show how its mounted, and where it " lands ".
Hope this helps..

Last edited:
INI SLDR said:
534e44

534g3r

534gsg

I tried to show how its mounted, and where it " lands ".
Hope this helps..

Are those FRAMs? I'd rather run one quality filter like a Mobil 1 than two pieces of sh!t in parrallel.

I just ordered all the neccessary bits for a dual filter system. But having known previously that the dual set ups are parralel, I opted to buy two single units and run them in sequence.

In addition, the restriction added to the system by running two filters in sequence can be negated by the addition of larger filters, thus keep the PSIs up and still gaining the benefits of higher capacity, more filtration and what not.

I'll post pics when it's install, but the design is as such:

1 Block adapter w/npt 1/2" fittings
2 Filter mounts
3 Line out to oil thermosta(at temps less than 180F oil returns back to motor)
4 Oil cooler and back to motor

I think it's very important to run the filters before the cooler since the heat in the oil thins it out a bit and there for makes it easier to filter.

I've removed my windshield wash tank and am planning on mounting the filters in that area to conserve under hood space too.

SBrad001 said:
I just ordered all the neccessary bits for a dual filter system. But having known previously that the dual set ups are parralel, I opted to buy two single units and run them in sequence.

In addition, the restriction added to the system by running two filters in sequence can be negated by the addition of larger filters, thus keep the PSIs up and still gaining the benefits of higher capacity, more filtration and what not.

I'll post pics when it's install, but the design is as such:

1 Block adapter w/npt 1/2" fittings
2 Filter mounts
3 Line out to oil thermosta(at temps less than 180F oil returns back to motor)
4 Oil cooler and back to motor

I think it's very important to run the filters before the cooler since the heat in the oil thins it out a bit and there for makes it easier to filter.

I've removed my windshield wash tank and am planning on mounting the filters in that area to conserve under hood space too.
what exactly are you trying to gain by installing 2 filters on an engine that regularly sees 200k with hard use. personally i'd spend my money on other mods to help performance.

Were you somehow able to specify what size debree would be filtered out by them, if the first one is doing it's job the second one will never get any debree. You will have to change just as often on the first one. The advantage to parelel is that you can go longer and still get oil by it because of the extra surface area. You do relize that when the flow is restricted then the oil bypasses the filter cuicit.
I think with two in sequence you will be bypassing all the time.
I put a single remote and spent my money on earls fitting and braded hose so I would not have to worry about leaks. I have seen to may XJ rip motor mounts and have the engine lay on the filter and snap off. This can not happen now.

I also have beefed up mounts.

bj-666 said:
what exactly are you trying to gain by installing 2 filters on an engine that regularly sees 200k with hard use. personally i'd spend my money on other mods to help performance.

Well for one thing, it extends the longevity of the oil, which is one cost saving. And the other is that extends the life of the engine too. With good oil and a good filtration system you can substantially increase the life of an engine. Aside from diesels being built stronger, most have very good oil filtration systems for just that reason. And the higher oil volume in reserve acts as a heat sink, absorbing more heat from the engine and thus reducing friction further.

I wouldn't bother doing these mods to an engine that was mid or high mileage, but I did just rebuild and stroke my 4.0, and have already done everything to the engine that I can possibly think of that would give me larger power gains. Well, except for a custom down pipe for the exhaust.

Last edited:
XJJack said:
Were you somehow able to specify what size debree would be filtered out by them, if the first one is doing it's job the second one will never get any debree. . . .

Oil filters have a blow off valve that allows a substantial portion of the oil to bypass the filter element during normal operations. By installing a second filter, you do get a larger portion of the oil continously filtered.

If they are in parelel yes, but not in sequence, they blow off is in the block, and with the extra restriction in two filters in line most of the oil will not go through it.

I don't know about the 2 oil filters, but I run a oil filter magnet I got at Harbor Freight, it's said to get everything 2 microns and up. I'm also planning on running some Lucas oil additive. You know the one you see at Auto Zone, Kragens, etc where you can crank the little wheel and see how much better lubrication there is on the little pullies within the little display. I just added this to my dd 98' ZJ with 94K miles and plan to do the same on my 206K 91' XJ wheeler as well. The motor still runs like a champ and I'd like to keep it that way. :)

Troy

XJJack said:
If they are in parelel yes, but not in sequence, they blow off is in the block, and with the extra restriction in two filters in line most of the oil will not go through it.

Yes, you're right. That's why you run filters with a larger cross sectional area. By going to a filter that is atleast twice as large as the original filter, you decrease the resistance to flow, and there for keep the filters working as they should.

Back