• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Modine or GDI Radiator...

Rock.Wgn

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 95XJ that is starting to heat up on the freeway. I have replaced the water pump and thermostat recently. My fan clutch seems fine. I have a GDI 3-row radiator with about 35,000 miles. I feel my problem is the radiator might be getting clogged. I can yank it out and have it rodded for about $75 to $80 bucks, or I can get a new Modine as a replacement. I have been hearing more negative than positive on the GDI. What are your opinions? And where is a good source for a new Modine 2-row.
Thanks,
Sean

FWIW - I've been running the Modine copper & brass dual row for years and I love it. No problems at all even doing with long idles on the Rubicon. I bought it with the idea it would be easier to field fix than an aluminum radiator.

I searched for the lowest price on-line and bought from something like Radiators Direct or 1-800 Radiators.

CSF 3 Row

Have you considered CSF? They're 3 row, all metal and high quality. I've only had mine for little over a year but it's worked great. I've never heard a single complaint about these radiators. They're supposedly more reliable than Modine and especially GDI. GDI is basically hit and miss. They have a reputation of having a very short life span (crack very quickly). Some are manufactured in China, and some in Mexico. Supposedly the ones coming from the Mexican plant have the least amount of problems.

Anyway, check out www.dpgoffroad.com. They have good deals on CSF.

Re: CSF 3 Row

XJVenom said:
They're supposedly more reliable than Modine and especially GDI.

I've heard they are great radiators too, but I've never heard of a single problem with a Modine. People jsut go with the CSF's cause they are cheaper or they think 3 rows are better. The only thing I've ever heard go wrong on a Modine was the metal strap breaking on it but that turned out to be due to the fan clutch catching it due to bad motor mounts. Fwiw, I've been running a Modine for a while now and it cools much better than my stock 1 row. The build quality is great and it bolted right in there like stock, actually I think the stock two rows are Modines. I couldn't be happier with mine.

i work on cars for a living and as far as CSF radiators are conerned-----garbage------stick with modine and you will be happy--plus life time warraty too.get the one for heavyduty cooling-i live in south florida-(ft. lauderdale area)and my 88 xj runs under or just at 200*f sitting in traffic a/c on(or not)same at highyway speeds also-in only goes to 210*f when i romp on it in the mud.

markaboo929 said:
i work on cars for a living and as far as CSF radiators are conerned-----garbage------stick with modine and you will be happy--

I've never had experience with either GDI or Modine. I have had a CSF in for about 3 months now and I like it...as far as a radiator go's. Although I'm not sure I'd tell a difference between any rad. until a tank splits or it clogs or whatever. Mine even runs about 5 degrees cooler than what you claim under the same situation. Just curious as to what you've seen that would constitute a CSF as "garbage".

i USED to work at pepboys and thats what we had in stock-7 out of 10 rads on an average were not formed corectly and a LOT of them would have metal or what not shacking around when you would tip them back and forth before installation----just to make sure ,nuttin went to the tstat and damaged it or the water pump for that matter!plus tried and true brass and copper construction -in my opinion -is much better than plastic and aluminum-for the ones that are oem specified-seen to many plastic side tanks split just from age.my 02 cents

markaboo929 said:
i USED to work at pepboys and thats what we had in stock-7 out of 10 rads on an average were not formed corectly and a LOT of them would have metal or what not shacking around when you would tip them back and forth before installation----just to make sure ,nuttin went to the tstat and damaged it or the water pump for that matter!plus tried and true brass and copper construction -in my opinion -is much better than plastic and aluminum-for the ones that are oem specified-seen to many plastic side tanks split just from age.my 02 cents

Are you still referring to CSF? Because if that's the case, then they must make an exception for the aftermarket versions because all the designs they manufacture for the XJ, ZJ, YJ, TJ, and MJ contain no plastic whatsoever.

True dat

Modine makes about 1/3 of the factory rads in the Big3. the others are Harrison(Gm) and Visteon(Ford GM and Dodge)

You cannot go wrong with any of those.

Back