• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strobes in Headlights

jhacker5150

NAXJA Forum User
I am a volunteer in local search and rescue and use my own vehicle at my job (contractor) which often requires pulling over in heavy, busy traffic. I have a magnetic mount amber mini-light bar I will sometimes use.

I was thinking about trying to add a either a Whelen, Federal Signal, or Code3 strobe system would be compatible with a sealed beam headlight.

If anyone has done this let me know how and pictures would be appreciated.

Also, putting strobes in the tailights and side marker/turnsignals would be an option.

I know about Wig-Wag units but I am not wanting to that unless strobes WILL NOT work.

Thanks

Strobe bulbs are different from regular headlights, they are not built to stay on. You can add strobes to some headlights (the ones with small bulbs ie. Jettas, Hondas, Grand Cherokees etc..) but not the sealed beam units. If you tap into the back it will ruin the bulb. I would try the marker lights or add the strobes into the front grill (best option)

Yeah, there's no way to add strobes to sealed beam headlamps, and even with aftermarket halogen conversions I'd be very reluctant to try drilling into the housing because you risk damaging the reflector. Adding mini strobe lamps in the parking light housings is a possibility, just as can be done with the taillights, but I think auxiliary strobes either hidden behind the grille or in the factory fog lamp position is a better solution.

I seem to remember that the IPF p/n 820H housing(H4 conversion) has the provision for a smaller secondary bulb.

I don't know that it would allow for a strobe bulb, but you may want to check it out.

I bought a used Blazer a while back and it had strobes on it when I bought it. They were in the turn signals up front and in the back up lights in the rear. That combo worked great and was very visible.

I did the security vehicles for IBM San Jose campus a few years ago, and the idea of strobes in the headlamps just didn't work well - when you have to add the holes. I made sure to write my misgivings and have their boss hack sign off on it before I drilled the first hole - since it end up costing them about another $2000 for me to replace the headlamps and put them in the park lamps where I wanted them to go in the first place. I wasn't about to pay that bill.

If you want to add strobes, install them in the park lights under the headlamps - there's room. If you are set on having the headlamps flash, use some H4 conversion with a stock (50-55W) low beam and a bright high beam - and have the flasher work thru relays, since they aren't designed to handle more than 60-65W or so. If you upgrade the headlamps, you'll want to do a relay harness anyhow.

For flashers, the Gall's Dual Pattern Wig-Wag works nicely, and you can use pretty much any taillamp flasher (I don't recall the name of the one I have, but it flashes the brake lights over the reverse lights and leaves the turn/hazzard blinkers alone, which I like. Also from Gall's)

Remember that if you have a later model with the third brake light, that light has to be rewired independently. Flashing the third brake light is a violation of FMVSS, at last recall.

PM if you need any wiring hints.

5-90

CIBIE makes an H4 headlamp just like the hellas and IPF's major difference being that they have provisions for what they call a 'city lamp' that goes in the housing. Might be that that is what you are looking for. I'm reminded of the older VW bugs from the 50's and 60's that had that little extra bulb that would come on when the headlight burned out as a kind of safety feature.

Back